Parenting
Options

Going Crazy

Apologies in advance for the length!

DS2, 5 1/2 months, became ill on Sunday with vomitting and fever. On Monday he was acting much better, no fever, no vomiting. I took him to daycare Tuesday and his fever came back. I took him to the pedi to get checked out because it is possible that he has some anatomical issues with his kidneys which put him at risk for UTI'S. They did a bag catch and diagnosed him with a UTI. We got an antibiotic and went home. By that evening his fever was out of control, 104.2 with Tylenol, so I was directed to take him to the ER. They did their own blood draw and got a sample with a catheter and gave him two antibiotic injections. When his fever stabilized at 102 they sent us home. The blood draw showed elevated white count but nothing out of control.

I spoke with his urologist this afternoon to schedule his 6 month kidney ultrasound (something we were to have done anyway because right now we don't know if he has any issues or not) and the nurse said that the ER urine culture came back negative so that he might have only had a viral infection. So now I am confused.

He basically had all of the symptoms of a UTI or kidney infection, high fever, vomiting, chills, and very strong smelling urine, but obviously had no bacteria present in his urine when they cathed him. I knew the bag catch can be less accurate but the pedi seemed very confident. I know we did the right thing taking him in but now I am wondering if it was something like a virus or other infection or if it could have still been a kidney infection even with the clean urine sample.

Any thoughts? I just hate not having any idea what made my baby so sick and I am worried about this happening again.

image image

Re: Going Crazy

• Options
    Did he get any of the antibiotic that your pedi prescribed before the ER did the cath urine?  Did the person that you spoke to over the phone know that he had already gotten antibiotics when that one was drawn (if he did)?  Did your pedi culture the bag urine or just the UA?  Hopefully your pedi and/or urologist can help sort it all out.  It certainly could have just been a virus with all those same symptoms though.  

• Options
    Ireland05 said:

Did he get any of the antibiotic that your pedi prescribed before the ER did the cath urine?  Did the person that you spoke to over the phone know that he had already gotten antibiotics when that one was drawn (if he did)?  Did your pedi culture the bag urine or just the UA?  Hopefully your pedi and/or urologist can help sort it all out.  It certainly could have just been a virus with all those same symptoms though.  

He had only one dose of the keflex from the pedi before going to the ER. Not sure if that could be enough to have a negative culture. I did not mention that he had already jad the antibiotic because I didn't think it was an issue at the time but I may call and ask about it. The pedi did a urinalysis but not a culture.

It could totally be a virus, and that is what we were assuming before the positive urinalysis, but now I don't know what to think. We are keeping him on the keflex regardless, just in case.

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"