Stay at Home Moms

Another S/O Preschool

So, this might be a dumb question, but I have seen lots of folks on here talk about how much is too much preschool and at what age they feel comfortable with different amounts. It seems the implication is that kids can only handle so much preschool at various ages. I guess my question is--millions of kids are in daycare at least 40 hours a week and my assumption is they do fine. What do you see as the difference? Is it that only part of the day is actually preschool and there is more "free play" during the after-care portion of the day. Or is it something else?

FTR, I am not saying I don't understand giving alot of consideration to when and how much preschool you want for your LO. I am currently weighing the options for my 14 month old DD. I am just curious what people think about this.

Re: Another S/O Preschool

• When I first graduated with my teaching degree I was a substitute teacher for a year.  For 3 months I took over a maternity leave in a preschool classroom.  It was a full day program, 8am-6pm I think.  At the same school there was a half day preschool which was 2 1/2 hours.  I was at the orientation for the following year and one of the parents asked what the difference was between the two classrooms and the principal's response was from an academic sense, nothing.  Both classrooms followed the same curriculum, the only differences were what you would expect from a full day program versus a half day.  The first 2 1/2 hours were pretty much the same, we read the same books, did the same activities, etc.  The full day program served breakfast, lunch and snack, had a two hour nap in the afternoon, had two recesses and more 'free play' time.  So from lunch on in was much more like daycare.  
  • edited August 2013
    It's twofold really. One-the reason why I'm not working full time is because I want to be home with my kids. If I'm sending my kids to preschool that many hours five days a week, I'm going to get a job. Second, I think free play is most important to cognitive development and too much time In a structured environment especially at young ages has a negative impact on brain development. Ftr, I do believe in preschool--I just think the time should be limited especially in the first five years of life when the brain is in the most vital stage of development. https://membership.highscope.org/app/issues/142.pdf
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • There's most likely no nap at preschool.  Last year, my 3 year old went 8:30 to 1:00, two days per week.  She was definitely tired after she was done.  I'm not sure that should would have benefited from going more often last year.  I sent her to preschool, so she would learn how to behave in the classroom and to have more interaction with her peers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Ditto KC and Nanda...I SAH so I can spend that time with my kids. DS did two years of half day preschool: T/Th the first year and MWF the second. I thought that was plenty.

• My dd is 3 and does preschool 3 days a week 9-3:30. No nap. She's exhausted, but freaking loves it. I had the option of 5 days a week and next year I will be all over that. This year I wanted a more gentle transition.
  • shibby00 said:
    My dd is 3 and does preschool 3 days a week 9-3:30. No nap. She's exhausted, but freaking loves it. I had the option of 5 days a week and next year I will be all over that. This year I wanted a more gentle transition.

That's actually a longer school day than my kids elementary school so if we ever did a preschool program like that they'd be confused when they started school. Lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • NandaB said:
    I mostly agree with KC (although I didn't read what she linked). I am a sahm because I want to spend the majority of my time with my kids. I don't want to put them in school/daycare everyday. Kids are pretty flexible, and most adjust just fine to daycare/preschool/MDO/whatev.p, its just not what I want to do.

This is how I feel as well. Just curious what others thought. :)
  • I agree with the other posters. If I sent my kid to school for that many hours, I'd probably get a job. I SAH to spend time with my child because I think it is best for my kid, for my family. DS just started 2/days a week at 2.5 and next year, at 3.5 will go 3/week, for 4 hours.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"