1st Trimester
Options

Twins on Ultrasound but NOT..........

My ultrasound showed two babies at 9 weeks but the dr said it is probably not twins.  She told me that it could just be the way baby was laying?  Now I live in nowhere Alaska and the equipment is very out of date but I see twins.  Has anyone else had this happen?

Re: Twins on Ultrasound but NOT..........

• Options
    Pic!
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• Options
    Wait -- is the doctor saying it just LOOKED like two babies, but is actually only one?  Or are there clearly two babies there with two heartbeats, but the doctor says there isn't?
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Here is the photo!
  • Options
    Agreed with PP - ask about how many heartbeats there are or request that he do a confirmation ultrasound or something in your second tri. That seems strange to me, but I guess anything is possible.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options

Only 1 heart beat could be detected but like I said the equipment here is very very old.  I am measuring large but not double.  My two previous babies were both very small so the likelihood of me having a large baby is just not!

• Options
    I can see what you are seeing but I also see what your doc is saying about the way the baby is laying. If they only detected one HB and your doc says probably one baby I'd trust their experience over yours or ours. At the very least, you have one healthy baby, so that's good news!

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• Options
    A u/s image is a cross-section. If you imagine the baby curved like a bean, it could be a cross section of the top and bottom and missing the middle entirely. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I won't tell you one way or another, because I am not a doctor, but it does look like just one baby. Until 11 or 12 weeks, it is common to see the yolk sac that is present in the amniotic sac. I wouldn't get my hopes up for two babies, but don't rule it out. One thing is sure--you will know on the day you deliver haha :)
  • Options
    RayRay007 said:

A u/s image is a cross-section. If you imagine the baby curved like a bean, it could be a cross section of the top and bottom and missing the middle entirely. 

This. Also I didn't measure "double" with my twins till the end of 2nd trimester. I measured smaller and "behind" with them early on so they adjusted my EDD accordingly. These early u/s are very accurate since the baby is developing and not packing on the pudgy baby fat yet.

I'm not an u/s tech or doc but based on the many u/s I had (weekly w/twins), those little + signs indicate the start and end points of what they're measuring so one baby. At 9wks both heartbeats should be seen. It would be normal to miss that at 5 or 6 weeks but rare at 9. Our OB has older equipment too since we live in a rural area but at 6wks we were able to see both babies, their heartbeats, yolk sacs, and a very thin membrane separating them. Considering all that plus your pic and your OB says one baby, I'd trust her. Congrats on your pregnancy!
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Options
    It looks like one to me. I can understand what you are seeing, but I have to agree with the doctor. Babies can look weird on ultrasound and not all the parts show up at once.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"