School-Aged Children
Options

Labeling items for school?

My kindergartener starts school next week and I am wondering how much I should label. Do I need tags on all of his items...? (ie: backpack, lunchbox, coat, etc).

If you've already done this, did you buy labels or just sharpie marker everything? If labels, any recs? I've heard good things about NameBubble and MabelsLabels.

Re: Labeling items for school?

• Options
    In most kindergarten classrooms, small supplies like crayons and glue sticks are shared.  Students may be given a take-home folder, or a composition book but the teacher will either label it or the kids will decorate/personalize things as a class activity.

The only things I label are coats/jackets and lunch boxes.  I just write first initial and last name inside the collar of jackets.  Lunchboxes often come with a label spot that's ready to be filled in with a sharpie.  The only other thing I might think about labeling would be mittens and hats, but I generally don't because they're small.  My kids have mostly been able to hold onto those items by keeping them in pockets.

JMO, but I think cute pre-made labels are a waste of money.  
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    I like labels and get groupons or other deals for them, normally. I have some from Label Daddy, Kiddo Tags and Name Bubbles. 

That said, I think I'm the only one in DD1's kindergarten class that uses them. We were given a fairly lengthy list of things that had to labeled with first and last name prior to the first day of school (half a dozen folders of different colors, glue bottles, scissors, pencil box, etc.) and pretty much everyone else seems to just write on with Sharpie. 

Coat, lunchbox, etc. definitely should be labeled somehow. I like my labels so that's what I use. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We use markers.  I like the cute labels, but I don't think they're worth the money.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I ended up coming across a pack of waterproof write-on labels at Target and decided to buy those.

• Options
    I label coats, hats, etc plus her backpack, lunchbox and water bottle.  I have labeled her shoes although she should have them on all day now but come winter, they will come off and winter boots will get labeled.  I also label sweatshirts.  Basically anything that comes off her body gets a label.  I do a combo of black Sharpie and Name Bubble labels.  I have bought them for the girls summer camp since everything gets a label then (even undies since they swim).
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"