Third-Party Reproduction

Meds question

So, we are getting started with our final DEmbryo cycle, and I just started BCP tonight. I basically have a really dumb question because I have never in my life been on the pill. I've read the side effects, and I'm curious about your experiences. The good, the bad, the ugly. What should I expect?

Thanks!
SAIF/PAIF absolutely ALWAYS welcome to respond!

Re: Meds question

• Most of what I can say about BCPs is ugly. They make me really irritable and my fuse is super short. I can't wait to be off of them! When I took reclipsen it wasn't nearly as bad as loestrin. But one thing I've learned is that BCPs affect everyone differently. Hopefully you won't have a bad experience.

By the way, I was thinking about you the other day when I posted that I started a facebook group for DEmbryo ladies! We already have 28 members and growing! If you are interested in joining, just send me a PM. I'm excited for your upcoming cycle!

************ Signature/Ticker Warning ************
    Me (32) DH (36) - Finding our way to baby #1
    Me: POF/DOR - AMH <0.16, heterozygous c677t MTHFR, insulin resistant and gluten intolerant
    DH: Severe MFI

12/2/11 - IUI #1- BFN 
    8/1/12 - IVF #1 - Zero response from max stims (600iu intramuscularly)

My ovaries are just for decoration

12/6/12 - Adopted five embryos that had been frozen for over ten years!
    2/11/13 - DEmbryo FET #1 Thawed four, sadly two didn't survive. Transferred two beautiful blasts. 
    2/16/13 - First BFP of my life @ 6dp5dt! EDD 10/30/13
    3/27/13 - After beta and u/s hell, no heartbeat ever detected. D&C at 9w1d.

6/5/13 - Adopted four new embryos that had been frozen for seven years!

9/12/13 - DEmbryo FET #2. Thawed and transferred two beautiful blasts
    9/17/13 - BFP @ 5dp6dt! EDD 05/31/14
    9/29/13 - m/c @ 5w1d. :(

11/19/13 - DEmbryo FET #3. Thawed and transferred one blast from each batch. Wow!
    11/23/13 - BFP @ 4dp6dt! EDD 8/7/13
    Beta #1 @ 13dp6dt - 522  Beta #2 @ 16dp6dt - 1373 
    6w5d ultrasound showed one perfect baby with a beautiful heartbeat of 134bpm!

Snowflake baby is a girl! 
    Our beautiful Snowflake girl arrived on July 22, 2014!   
    My embryo adoption blog: Wishing on a Snowflake

image      image 
  • Okay, here's the ugly: 
    For me, after a few hours they make me nauseous, sometimes but not always to the point of throwing up.  When I take it with a meal (especially if bread/crackers etc are included) it is usually better.  This only lasts 1-2 months before my body finally gets over it.  Even after that, though, I get withdrawal as the hormones leave my system but before I've taken a new pill, which results in headaches nearly every day (but quite bearable ones).  Needless to say my experience is worse than most and I am not a BCP fan.  I have also been breaking out more this time but that may be unrelated.

But the good news is AF is lighter, shorter and nearly cramp-free!
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been on 4 different BCPs and my experience with each has been different. Like Liz I had a terrible reaction to Loestrin...think murderous rage for 3+ months, but some people are fine on it. The last BCP I took was Generess FE and I felt amazing on it! Like I wish I could keep taking it minus the BCP part. lol

Just don't go reading online reviews of whichever BCP you'll be taking. People normally only write reviews when they've had a bad experience and you will be terrified! My only other suggestion would be to take the pill right before bed, if possible, to help with nausea while you adjust to the hormones.

***signature & ticker warning***

Me: 30 ~ Stage IV Endo ~ AMH .38 ~ AFC 8
    AMH .97 as of 4/2012! ~ AMH 1.63 as of 4/2013!?!

Him: 29 ~ perfect swimmers

Laparotomy w/partial oophorectomy 8/2009 to remove cysts/endo.
    Stopped BCP 4/2010.
    Multiple clomid rounds from 11/2010 to 6/2011. ~ All BFN
    IUI w/clomid 7/2011. IUI w/clomid & injectables 11/2011 & 1/2012. ~ All BFN

IVF:EPP 5/2012 ~ (4R, 3M, 2F w/ICSI). Both embryos txfrd. ~ BFN
    BCP to manage endo from 10/2012 to 12/2012.
    FET w/donor embryos #1: 10/2013 Cancelled
    FET w/donor embryos #1.2: 11/2013
    ~ ET of 2 beautiful blasts on 11/27.
    Beta 1: 503(12dp5dt) Beta 2: 1035(14dpt) Beta 3: 3001(16dpt)
    Beta 4: 8503(19dpt)
    Twins with an EDD of 8/15/14! Team Purple
    G&B born 6/30/14 at 33w3d via emergency c/s.

If you're wondering about my avatar...it's a fried pickle chip shaped like a fetus!

• In all honesty, I've never had any reaction, side effect, or anything from BCPs.  Nothing at all.  Hopefully you have the same experience :)
     36 DH 33 TTC for over 3 years
    First mini-IVF Sept 2011... Only 1 egg! ... BFN
    Switching RE
    IVF#2 May 2012 9 eggs and only 2 sperm, WTH!
    BFN
    IVF #3 March 2013~Tesa with back-up Donor Sperm,Tesa, unsuccessful used DS~ Chemical :(   

Switching RE's within practice

2 frosties waiting for us, November 2013!!!!!   Transferred 2 "average" blasts 11/20/2013
    BFP!!!!!!!  Boy/Girl Twins!!!!!! Due 08/08/2014

My Blog

*~God gives his hardest battles to his toughest solders. Unknown.
  • Thank you ladies. So far, so good. Just took my second pill, I had some nausea last night but was fine enough. Not taking the placebo pills, so we'll see how this all ends up. I appreciate the feedback!
    SAIF/PAIF absolutely ALWAYS welcome to respond!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"