February 2013 Moms
Options

Daycare feeding w/o asking

First let me say, I love our daycare provider. Its in-home and we've never had a problem with her.
We just started feeding DS solids 2 weeks ago and he's had zucchini, avocado, and banana so far. My husband picks up DS from daycare and today he told me that our daycare lady gave DS a Baby Mum Mum, which is a vegetable like stick thing made mostly of rice. She gave it to him mostly for teething so he'd have something to bite on and it just dissolves. She said he loved it. I'm sort of taken aback because I've never given him anything like that before. Hes never had processed food before. I feel a little upset. Am I overreacting as a FTM? My husband thought nothing of it. How should I handle it with her tomorrow?

Re: Daycare feeding w/o asking

• Options
    I don't think you're overreacting at all.  But we try to eat mostly paleo (definitely gluten free), so I would be SUPER pissed if our DCP fed DD something I haven't approved.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would be upset if someone fed my kid something without clearing it first at this age. We do very few processed things as well (the entire family, not just the baby), but I do let my son have mum mums because they do help with teething. But that's not relevant because she should give anything without permission.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would be pretty upset. But I think all you need to do to rectify the situation is just ask her to please ask before giving him anything other than what you send.
  • Options
    I guess I'm in the minority but I don't think it's that big of a deal. It wasn't like she gave him a pixie stick. :P

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Options
    I would be upset only because she introduced a new food that you weren't aware of. If she wanted to giver him something ti teethe on, she should have called. Our given whatever you approved. Like pp said, what if he had a reaction?
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    I would be upset if someone fed my baby a new food without letting me know. If it were me, I would bring it up with her and ask her to give you a heads up next time.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. Thats pretty much what I did. She apologized and said she always asks but she wasn't thinking and was trying to help with his teething fussiness and try something different. I started by saying I was glad he liked them but would rather she had asked me first because I'm introducing all new foods at home in case of allergies.And also since he's never had a crackery type thing before...only mushy veggies and fruit. I also was thinking, but didn't say, that I was sad to miss his first reaction to this type of crackery thing :( In the end, I know she understands my feelings on the issue and wont do it again. A friend told me that she would have been upset too but to look at it this way, everyone makes mistakes sometimes and hers did come from a good place. And now that we've talked about it, I shouldn't have to worry about it again. I think it'll just take me a few days to kind of forget about it/get over it. Im real sentimental about "firsts"!
  • Options
    I totally understand missing his firsts! I had to work F/T when DD was a baby and I missed everything.  Though my mom was my primary care giver, I still resent the amount of time she spent with DD, and that she got to see everything and I missed it. 
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"