August 2012 Moms
Options

SAHMs

Are you ever planning to go back to work?

I'm torn about this. I loved the job I left as a veterinary technician, but I can't go back to that position because I have back issues and can't physically do that job. I'd like to stay home until our kids (God willing) are in school at least, but I feel like I need to be working with animals somehow. Volunteering would fulfill that drive but working and making money would be nice, too.

Re: SAHMs

• Options
    DH & I have just been discussing this.  At the very least, I will need to go back to work when our kids are in school - so we can afford to send them to the school where DH works.  DS will go to preschool next fall, and if I can find something part time to fit in preschool hours, maybe I will send DD to preschool too & bring in some money.

I'm not sure if I want to go back to working as a graphic designer like I did before.  Part of me wants to just do some administrative job at DH's school, but that depends on there being an opening for that, so we'll see.  I'm not looking for a career.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I plan on it, I am just torn as to when. If we waited until school starts for the boys that will be 6 years from now (Isaac doesn't make the birthday cutoff of June 1st, so he will go to school when he is 6, as will Aiden). I am not sure I want to wait that long. I am thinking about starting my school program for Imaging sciences when Isaac is 3, and then being done when he is 4 (I already have a 4 year, this is a 2 year typical program, but I meet half of the requirements already). I am just still so unsure on the timing, but I 100% know I want to go back to work in the future. Being a double income family again will be nice.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Maybe something part time or from home once the kids are in school, but I probably wouldn't look for anything full time until they are late teens at least. DH grew up with a single mom who was never home when he got home from school (understandably, because she was providing for them), and he doesn't want that for his own kids. So even once the kids are in school, I need to be home when they get home. And that's OK with me. I don't miss my workplace and jobs in my field are rapidly disappearing anyway.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I plan to go back. I'm not sure when at the moment. There are so many factors and I am not certain about where we plan to live at this point.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    I plan on going back to school and getti g my cosmetology license and then my BA in business. I eventually do want to go back to work, I worked while hubs went to college for 5 yrs. Now its my turn to do my education.  Plus, I am determined to join a sorority even if I have to go paper.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    No plans to return to work as of now. We will reevaluate once DD and any future siblings are in school. 
  • Options
    I would prefer not to go back to work officially. Perhaps something part-time or from home would be good. I just want to be there for my kids as long as possible. I have zero desire to return to the classroom at this point. We shall see, DH has a bit of a different view I think. But once #2 rolls around, I think he will find it challenging for us both to work :-)
    BFP #1 5/16/11 - M/C 5/20/11 BFP #2 7/26/11 - Chemical Pregnancy 7/28/11 BFP #3 8/31/11 - Chemical Pregnancy 9/10/11 (Worst Birthday Ever!!) BFP #4 12/3/11 DD born 8/13 Perfect in every way!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No plans as of right now. I'd say there is a good chance that we will be deciding to homeschool, but even if we didn't, I will not be looking to work until all my kid(s) are much older (maybe high-school) or the need presents itself.
    SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm hoping to go back to work ASAP. I miss it and with DD in preschool already we'd only need to find a space for DS and a friend of ours has her own in home daycare so it could work. I just need a position. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    i've been trying for the last year to go back to work.  I got laid off so we've been blessed that i've been home this year.

i've been applying for jobs but i'm being super picky and only applying for state/federal jobs right now.  i've been laid off due to downsizing 5 times in 8 years and i'm sick of it. at least working for the state, if you get laid off you get put on a list for pickups and they try to place you in another division first.

i'll be less picky when we get closer to when my unemployement runs out.  we just cant make it work with out me bringing in at least a little bit (counting for daycare, clothing and commute expenses)
    10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • Options
    I would be happy not to go back to work. But I am keeping my nursing license active in case I need it. I'm sure I'll do something part time when Victoria gets to school. We do fine on 1 incone but we're not really putting enough into savings.
    I can't really go back to what I was doing before. I was a home nurse. If one of the girls needed picked up from school I wouldn't be able to just leave my patient.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Options
    No. I mean, not like in an office. I hope to continue to grow my blog and one day (in my dreams) work on a book. So yes, I guess that is work - but work I love. We'll see.......
    WEBONLY_NOPRINT_DSC_1509-2-2236294072-O
    DS #1 Born: 10/03/06, DS #2 Born: 08/06/12 My Cooking Blog
  • Options
    Yes. I took a two year maternity leave, so I plan to return to work at this time next year.
  • Options
    I plan on going back to school and getti g my cosmetology license and then my BA in business. I eventually do want to go back to work, I worked while hubs went to college for 5 yrs. Now its my turn to do my education.  Plus, I am determined to join a sorority even if I have to go paper.
    I did this exactly, minus the sorority. I started college in social work, hated it, took a year off and got my cosmetology license, then worked my way through a BA in business while I worked in a salon. It's nice to have so many career options. I work from home PT in a business related field, but I always keep my cosmetology license up so I could go back to a salon if I wanted to. You should further your education when you feel ready. They are both good fields.
  • Options
    Becc77 said:

I did this exactly, minus the sorority. I started college in social work, hated it, took a year off and got my cosmetology license, then worked my way through a BA in business while I worked in a salon. It's nice to have so many career options. I work from home PT in a business related field, but I always keep my cosmetology license up so I could go back to a salon if I wanted to. You should further your education when you feel ready. They are both good fields.
    That's c definitely my plan. I think now that I'm older it's easier to stay focused than being younger and worrier about frivolous stuff.

• Options
    I don't know if I will or not. If I do, it will be part time when W is in school.
  • Options
    Yeah im due with ds2 in a few weeks. We want 4 kids but since we have 2 so close together i want to wait a few years before starting on #3. In the mean time i plan to work part time and/or finish a college degree. My mom has offered free childcare whenever needed. If i didnt have that offer i would b much more hesitant leaving my LOs with strangers. But i know i wont b able to stay at home full time much longer regardless. Living on one income is nearly impossible. I live in one of the worst cities in the US. Here in MI. Its rough.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"