1st Trimester
Options

Cramps During 1st Trimester?

I am only 4 weeks, 5 days along. I went to the doctor on Monday (local urgent care) to get a definite positive to take to the OB with me. I mentioned that I was having cramps, similar to how I would feel if I were about to get my period. The doctor seemed concerned and sent me to have an US immediately. There was no sac as of yet, the US tech explained that it would be too early to see anything, anyways. The urgent care doctor brought me back in for a physical exam and too take blood later that evening. The physical exam came back fine. I am scheduled to go back after work this afternoon to have more blood drawn to measure if my HCG levels have fallen/risen over the past two days.

From everything I have read, cramping is normal during the 1st trimester. My cramping is very similar to the cramping I have when I am about to start my period. I even have "cramps", achy pains, in my thighs just like I have during my period. I feel like they are a little worse than what they would be if I were starting my period, but I also pop Tylenol like theirs no tomorrow when I start my period. I am thinking that they just seem worse because I have taken no medications to dull the pain since I'm not really sure what I can and can't take at this point. There is no blood, not even spotting, accompanied with these cramps.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

imageimage

Re: Cramps During 1st Trimester?

• Options
    I am experiencing cramps but again from what i have read it is perfectly normal in the first trimester because your body, uterus in particular, is making room for baby so it's stretching.  I'm not too concerned at this point especially if it's not consistently. 
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I had cramping until about 7 wks off and on. I was convinced my period was coming, but an embarrassing number if home tests and betas assured me it wasn't. We saw a sac and a hb at 5w6d with a transvaginal ultrasound.

ETA we were working with an RE and did an IVF cycle- betas and early ultrasounds aren't typically par for the course. As long as you don't have bleeding don't worry yourself too much. GL!'
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had cramps the whole time with both pregnancies. Feels like im on my period.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    Don't worry! cramps are normal, I believe some types are referred to as 'round ligament pain'. I've had cramps my entire pregnancy so far, from very mild to moderate. Your uterus is stretching and growing and your body is changing. Since I haven't had much nausea or other symptoms, I found the cramps almost comforting....a way to know things are progressing :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I am going through exactly this. I'm currently 5w6d and got my BFP at 4w. Since before my BFP I was certain I was going to get my period. I continue to have cramping and bc my cramping had at times been more noticeable on one side (ectopic scare) my OB sent me for an u/s and bw. My first u/s at 4w6d didn't show anything but a possible sac and a possible cyst on my left ovary. My first set of bw came back in the 3000s and the second 4 days later around 11000. I go for my second u/s on Friday at 6w1d (hoping to see more this time). Since I haven't had any spotting and my levels are rising appropriately I am starting to feel better about the cramps. I'm also thinking that I may just be thinking too much into the cramps. When you're pregnant you notice every little thing and it's normal that it freaks you out. As long as the pain isn't severe and there is no bleeding I would say everything should be fine.
  • Options
    I'm 11w today and earlier in my pregnancies I experienced cramping that sounds very similar to yours. Felt just like period cramps. In fact, before I got a bfp I was sure I was going to start my period because of the cramps. I was also concerned but assured by the ladies on the march 2014 board that it was totally normal. The cramps have since eased but I occasionally still have round ligament pain. I'm sure your doctor was just being cautious. Sounds like you have nothing to worry about.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Thanks so much, everyone! I tend to worry WAY too much... I got my blood work back from yesterday that compared levels to Monday, everything is fine :) My numbers doubled like they should have. The Dr. said I was just very early and there was nothing to be alarmed about. He said most people don't find out that they are pregnant as early as I did, which is a blessing and a curse. The positive side: I can start making sure I get the right nutrients and take better care of the baby... The negative side:  I start worrying a lot sooner. I feel much more at ease now, so hopefully I can start sitting back and enjoying the fact that I will soon be a Mommy :)

PS... I put a theirs when it should have been there's in my first post... As a teacher, that annoys me... So I'd like to correct it! Ha! My mind is fried!
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"