Pregnant after 35

Would you wait or would you tell

Good Morning ladies!
I will be 8 weeks tomorrow and have my first appt next Wed.  I am debating whether or not to tell my immediate family being it is a rare occasion and we are all together this weekend.  Or wait until after my appointment next week.
The convenience and excitement of sharing the news in person is preferred, but I guess I also don't want to jump the gun.
What would you do?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Would you wait or would you tell

• I told my family as soon as our 11 year old knew, which was my first visit when we saw the heartbeat. Everyone at work knew really early as well because I'm a nurse and wanted to protect myself and the baby.

• I would tell!  I'm a ball of excited nerves, my dh and I have been telling selectively for weeks now!  I am not into big fb or other media type msgs escpecially early but face to face or phone calls for those closest to me.. yes!

Hope your weekend goes wonderfully and your pregnancy even better!

• Loading the player...
  • Jillette98Jillette98 member
    edited August 2013
    We told immediate family at 8 weeks as well.  I really needed their support, and in the event that something went wrong I'd need to be able to talk to them about it.  Also, my OBGYN said that there is a 5% chance of MC at 8 weeks and a 2% chance at 12 weeks... so not that different.  We did wait to tell friends (other than my 2 closest gal pals and my DH's bff) until I hit 12 weeks. 

Didn't want to have a sad conversation with quite that many people if the need arose... luckily it didn't, and I'm past the "hump" into the safe zone now. 
  • I think this is a very personal decision which depends very much on your feelings and your personal relationship with your family. I don't believe there is a right or wrong time to announce your pregnancy, you do what's right for you. Some people wait until 2nd tri and some don't. I told my close family and close friends as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I really wanted their support and knew they would all be excited. I respected DH's wishes not to make a big announcement until 2nd tri, but if it had just been up to me I would have done it sooner. I'm the sharing type and it was hard to keep it a secret that long.

Do what feels right to you and don't worry about what other people think. This is your news, share it when you are ready.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • I'm 9 weeks and we have only told immediate family and a small handful that I work with.  Like RnMommyof2 I'm a nurse and although my job is mostly desk work now I still needed to let them know.  As for a "big" announcement we've waited on that and will probably wait until I'm 12 weeks and after that OB apt :) 
    I have walked in the MC shoes before my DS, its hell and I know a lot of you have walked in those shoes too.  For me I wanted to talk about my baby so my close family and friends were very helpful during that time. 

Pregnancy%20ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• With all 3 of my pregnancies (including my first that ended in a MC) We told immediate family (his parents my Mom and sister) right after we got the BFP knowing that we would want and then needed their support when my first pregnancy ended sadly in a MC. Luckily both sides know how to respect our wishes and kept our news to themselves until we gave the green light that it was ok to spread the word that we were pregnant.  We told our best friends around the 8 week mark again, knowing they can keep news a secret.  Work didn't find out till after we were out of the 1st trimester.  It really is a personal decision. Having had my first pregnancy end in MC I was so glad that I didn't have to unring the bell so to speak with co-workers and casual friends.  It was gut-wrenching enough I was glad only a few select people knew.  I know people who tell everyone right away.  Its what you are comfortable with.  Congrats either way :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • With my 4th pregnancy, we were waiting for the heartbeat confirmation appointment to tell our immediate family (BFP was 3 weeks before that point).. And when I went for my first appointment at 10 weeks, the baby didn't have a heartbeat.. :/. So I wish we wouldn't have waited to tell our family.. Because instead of being able to have that (even short-lived) celebration, we just had to tell them all the sad news.
  • ndpoolendpoole member
    edited August 2013
    We told our immediate family and a couple of close friends. I still have not told anyone at work however it's becoming quite obvious.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"