Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Noise while baby is sleeping

How silent are you when baby is sleeping during the day and at night?

I am so paranoid of my daughter waking that I make my husband and I literally tip toe around the house during the day and at night we pretty much stick to our room instead of hanging out downstairs or whatever in fear of her being woken up.

I fear that I am my own worst enemy on this matter because I am conditioning her to sleep through silence.

Are any of you like this? Should I stop and let her become use to our noises and if she wakes deal with it if and when it arises?

STM do they start to become deeper sleepers as they get older?

When we go on vaca we are bound to our beds because if we walk around in the same room as her once she is asleep she wakes up. Then we have to wait for her to wake up.

What do I do???? Lighten up? How do your kids sleep?
Me: 30 | DH:34
Married: 08/04/12
DD: 6 years | Born: 03/28/13
DS: 1 Year I Born 10/15/17

Re: Noise while baby is sleeping

• Options
    With a noise machine. I clean the house while they sleep. The ice machine dispensing is the only thing that seems to startle them while sleeping.
    I don't flush the toilet after 7:30, that bathroom shares a wall with dd's crib. Not worth the risk.
    TTC 10/2010 DX with PCOS 01/2012 Metformin 05/12. Clomid 07/12 50mg- Bust,no response. 8/12 100mg 0 on CD20=BFP. 9/24-56 9/26-125 10/1-2100 B/G Twins, EDD 05/2013 "It's funny they give you a drug to help get you pregnant, but it makes me not want to have sex with you" -DH. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Venti29 said:

With a noise machine. I clean the house while they sleep. The ice machine dispensing is the only thing that seems to startle them while sleeping.
    I don't flush the toilet after 7:30, that bathroom shares a wall with dd's crib. Not worth the risk.

Lol you can't live like that forever. Flush the toilet!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We live our lives. He can sleep thru anything
  • Options
    We did not keep quiet at all and they learned to sleep through anything. I am  doing the same with baby A. It works for us really well.

• Options
    It depends on the kid but I think you have to try to get them used to it.  We lived life as normal with DS1 and he adjusted pretty well.  DS2 is proving to be a different story and has NOT adjusted.  Noise wakes him up no matter how hard we've tried to break him of it. He's still little so I'm holding out hope but if you never make noise and at least try to get them used to it, yes, you're setting yourself up to live in silence.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    We always have white noise on in her room when she sleeps, day and night. Sometimes she'll wake up if the TV is on loud or if we were to talk really loud near her room, but she goes back to sleep. During the day I keep things pretty quiet normally. But if I use the vacuum cleaner, it doesn't bother her. I guess it's more white noise anyway.

We take her out in the stroller to noisy places and she can fall asleep. At my parents' house, they don't use white noise, and she sleeps OK, through my dad's boisterous voice yelling across the house and the dog barking. Maybe the white noise isn't necessary, but at the moment she's been getting so easily distracted and has a hard time falling asleep that I'm using white noise to drown out sounds and as a cue that it's sleep time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We live our lives. He can sleep thru anything
    This exactly. 

• Options
    Dh comments that my older two kids and I could sleep through worldwar 3 being waged right next to our bedrooms....or at least I could until ds2 came along and put my mommy senses back on alert.

I have never had the household remain quiet for the baby. Ds2 has slept through my kids yelling at each other, the cats chasing each other and running over him, the cat breaking a glass vase in our room and the subsequent clean up at 1am. But ds2 wont stay asleep if I leave the nightlight on in his room. Go figure.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options

She sleeps through anything, except my husband sneezing and he has the habit of being right outside her bedroom door when he sneezes...but she goes right back to sleep.

She's slept through my setting the house alarm off (very loud, twice) the smoke alarm (stupid broil on oven, many times) and everything else.  We've never tip toed around, we will be a tad bit quiet in the few minutes when she is about to fall asleep but once she's out she will sleep through anything.

When out and about she sleeps really good for the first 40min then she will wake if too much is going on...but that is more to do with wanting to be part of and see everything.

We were of the mindset better to train her to deal with life noises now then for us to be prisoners in our home till they are teenagers.  So far it is working.

Oh, the other day we were at the sailing club and on the balcony right above us they set off the starting gun for a race.  She had just fallen asleep in the baby carrier it sent me leaping in fear and she FREAKED.  I was so glad she was strapped to my chest so I could calm her faster...we up and ditched my husband and left the area...got just far enough away that when they started setting off the gun every 2-3minutes she passed out and didn't notice anymore.  I'm all for training her to sleep through anything...but I don't expect her to ignore starter pistols over our heads!

• Options
    White noise is our friend.

From the beginning, we brought him everywhere we went, and he was snuggled in the baby carrier the whole time. He could sleep through WWIII. He got used to noise while sleeping, we never tip toed or watched ourselves. He even sleeps through fireworks... That's amazing. I love it!

Lighten up! Babies are adaptable, they're flexible and they learn wicked fast. It's not about training them necessarily, it's a way of living. What happens when you have another baby and your current child has school in the morning? 
  • Options
    I spent the first 5 weeks of LO's life trying to get him used to noise while sleeping. I was so confused as to why my newborn wasn't sleeping like a newborn - I realized he just needs it to be quiet. I do put a rain sound on my Kindle to block out some stuff. Every so often when we're out and about he'll stay asleep through noise. But usually if he falls asleep in his car seat he's instantly awake when taken out of the car.

I'd say try it out, but I think that some babies/people have an innate preference.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My guys could sleep through a rock concert.  My 2 year old is loud...I mean LOUD! at the best of times.  They learned to sleep through his yelling, singing, T-Rex impressions, experimenting with the volume controls on the remote, H vacuuming, the phone ringing, loud relatives fussing over them, etc...  I had a friend who insisted on absolute quiet while her baby was sleeping.  The child is now 4 and still can't sleep if there's any noise.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Our little guy is pretty good at sleeping through whatever we're doing.  Granted, if he's taking a nap nearby (like in the living room with us, in his Pack and Play) we do turn the TV down a bit and talk a little quieter, but not sure that's needed.  What wakes him up, funny enough, are little sounds, like me dropping a pen on the floor or me sneezing.  At night, he falls asleep (sleeps in his crib in our room) and stays asleep pretty well, even when I get up or when my husband reads with a reading lamp.  I will say, if he's trying to fall asleep, it needs to be a bit quieter, as he tends to get distracted and want to stay awake even when he's tired, but once he's asleep, he's a sound sleeper.  Lucky for us!
  • Options
    I've been getting scared about noise too because we are going to transition LO to his own room soon and we have a one level ranch style house.  The door to his bedroom is right in the living room.  Right now he's in our room which is off the side of the house and besides our dogs you can't really hear the day to day noises in there.  I do run a fan and have a white noise machine.  I hope the transition goes okay!  I guess he has to get used to the noise sometime. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We use white noise, too. At nighttime he sleeps like a rock and very rarely wakes if there's noise, but it's a bit more precarious in the daytime. Luckily, he is upstairs and our living area is downstairs so I can still do what I need to do without creeping around.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    We are quiet but still do things around the house. Sometimes I vacuum when she's sleeping and she doesn't wake up.

New Mommy!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"