Working Moms

Need to vent/ ask for advice

Hi ladies, I figured I'd post here first. So here goes my vent:

I have been at my current company 2 years, had my DD Nov 12 and took my full maternity leave, recently in July sliced my hand so bad they had to reattach my nerved and tendons in my fingers (I will be gone 6 weeks for an extended leave that they offered me ending Labor Day).  2 weeks ago, I found out I am pregnant with #2 due in April.   I still haven't had my pee on a stick appoint at the OBs yet but I've peed on plenty at home.  My work environment is super stressful and they have been cleaning house at the office, so now I'm kind of anxious about going back. The first Friday I return I need to take a personal day to go to the doc for myself and my DD checkup. I don't know if it's the pregnancy hormones or if it's a legit worry about now going back to working and saying hey I was just gone for the longest time this year and I'm knocked up again.  Should I be so concerned about what they think?   I don't want to quit, but I don't care if I get fired but a demotion would be a total ego blow.   Am I over thinking this or should I be as nervous to go back to work as much as I already am?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need to vent/ ask for advice

• On the one hand they offered you extended leave for your hand when you were not eligible for Fmla (since your ML was less than a year ago), so that is a good sign. But I would be a bit concerned for your next ML since you will technically only be eligible for 6 weeks since you are on leave now. I would probably try to wait to announce your pregnancy, but I also realize you show much earlier the 2nd time around, so it may be obvious whether you say something or not. I would rather announce it myself than have everyone speculating on whether I am pregnant. I also would announce it and be positive and happy, not apologetic. Sure the timing is inconvenient for your employer, but its your life, and you have every right to be happy about your new LO. Best of luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I will assume the pp posters are correct in assuming all this time off has been FMLA time?

I ask because in my current job you would have only used as much FMLA time as you wanted to. 6-8weeks of each maternity leave would be considered medical disability, as would the hand injury.

As others have mentioned I would definitely wait as long as possible before announcing your pregnancy and definitely be prepared to present a plan for your maternity leave, and plan for covering your work when you are gone next spring.

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"