Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Adding breakfast?

This morning my sons daycare provider let me know that she feels LO is ready to start 3 solid meals.(he's 8month) This means adding breakfast. I make his baby food purees, and send lunch purees with him to daycare. I told her "ok sure ill send extra puree for breakfast". She let me know that she would like to give LO cereal for breakfast. My question is what do you give LO for breakfast? If i do decide to give him cereal what brand do you all use and what liquid (water, formula, bm)? Right now my son is on bm but i am struggling to pump enough for daycare i don't think i will able to send extra for cereal. And do you mix with fruit? If so do you think 1 ice-cube of puree is enough for the cereal? Thanks!

Re: Adding breakfast?

• I buy Earth's Best, but my DS has been having breakfast for probably 6 weeks now. I give him a fruit/whole grain combo for breakfast.

If you are going to give him cereal, you can mix with BM (if you have enough) or water...or formula, if you want to. Fruit puree is also a good choice, maybe with a little water added.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • We do either Gerber rice or oatmeal cereal for breakfast. There is also baby yogurt in peach and blueberry that our baby loves; he usually has half of one to go with his cereal. We also sometimes substitute applesauce or another pureéd fruit instead of the yogurt.
  • Well first off, YOU are the mom. What she is saying are suggestions, you don't have to do anything just because she is telling you to.

That being said, I usually send DD with fruit like whole blueberries, cut up strawberries, mandarin oranges... I also will send yogurt melts. I don't give DD baby cereal but she does eat Cheerios. (not sure what you meant by cereal).

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • When my DS was a baby I was already pumping because I worked PT, so I mixed cereal with breastmilk.  However, now I stay home so I pretty much never pump, so I give fruit for breakfast and will often put some cereal (Earth's Best Oatmeal or Multigrain Cereal) into the fruit puree.  I don't always, though, and you don't have to do cereal at all if you don't want to.   We also just started yogurt a week or so ago, so she has been having fruit and yogurt for breakfast a lot.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • I wouldn't be doing cereal just because she said so.  Cereal, if used at all, is typically a first food.  At 8 months your LO has moved on to other things and there's no benefit to going backwards to something so bland and pretty much useless.  Send regular oatmeal, pancakes (you can make them with fruit and other nutritional goodies), regular cereal, toast, fruit, etc.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• We mix some gerber cereal with one container of pureed apple or pear or banana...some sort of fruit or fruit mix and he gets that for breakfast.

Daycare gives him one container of a veggie and one container of a fruit for lunch and I do one container of fruit or veggie with some Plums puffs for dinner.

Just now we are starting to give him mushy table food of what we eat...so if we are having something that works for him we skip the container of puree.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• If I'm giving just cereal I mix it with formula or I mix it with water and add in a tbsp or two of fruit. One cube should be enough, I'm sure daycare can adjust the amount of cereal to add to the fruit for the right amount.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"