Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Sterilizing

How is everyone sterilizing bottles, nipples, etc.? I am using a microwave sterilizer but water still remains in the bottles. It is taking forever for them to air dry and I feel like that just defeats the purpose of sterilizing. What am I missing?

Re: Sterilizing

• Options
    My answer to that is that we don't sterilize except for first use.  The minute you take it from the water or sterilizer bag, it immediately become unsterile.  We boil before first use and then only if there's been an illness.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Like PP, we sterilized with first time use. I've only done otherwise if it had been awhile since I was able to wash the item and wanted to make sure any extra germs were dead. 
    imageimage
    Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same as PPs. I wash with hot water and soap after each use and our water is very hot but I don't boil or sterilize unless I feel like they need it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Good to know! I have been sterilizing after every use.....it's so annoying.and yes, the bottles never seem to totally dry even though I use a drying rack.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Sterilizing is only needed if your drinking water is unsafe. Or if your LO has an illness and your pedi recommends it; I think you sterilize while treating thrush, for example.
  • Options
    I sterilized everything when I took them out of the package and now just use hot water and soap for cleaning.
  • Options
    We don't clean with soap at all (just hot water) so I usually steralize once every couple of days. 

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    I sterilize EVERYTHING before first use then after that I sterilize (using microwave sterilizer bags from muchkin) just the nipples themselves and pacifiers...and only at the end of the day.
  • Options
    We boil our bottles, pacifiers, etc. about once a week. This is what was recommended on the packaging for these items. In between sterilizations, we just wash them in the dishwasher. I'm a little surprised that not that many people sterilize after first use. I thought it was the norm.
  • Options
    BC&LM said:
    We boil our bottles, pacifiers, etc. about once a week. This is what was recommended on the packaging for these items. In between sterilizations, we just wash them in the dishwasher. I'm a little surprised that not that many people sterilize after first use. I thought it was the norm.
    Our pedi with DS1 was pretty "meh" about it.  She said that unless someone has been sick, all the germs in your house are everywhere in your house so ok you sterlize, take it out of the water, the air hits it, it's no longer sterile and is covered in whatever is in your house, just like before.  I mean, if I dropped something of his on the floor of a public place then yes, I would sterilize. But a regular bottle?  What the hell is going on in his mouth so bad that I need to sterilize? :-p
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"