Preemies
Options

Bradys?

We were just about to bring out LO home from the nicu and she had a bradycardia, and then another one. I'm confused because we've gotten through the most critical days without any and I don't understand why it's happening now. They seem to be feeding related so I started using a slower flow nipple. Anyone else have experience with this?

Re: Bradys?

• Options
    When you say they're feeding related, are they happening during her feeding? Is she breathing enough / getting enough oxygen? We still have to turn LO's oxygen up a little during his feeds for that exact reason.
    Hoping this one stays put a little longer
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    Yes both my twins had lots of bradys throughout their nicu stay. One earned an extra week because of it. The other one would brady almost every time I fed him which for the count down they didn't include those ones, because they were feeding related and he recovered on his own. Since it was the only thing keeping them from coming home, they let us bring them home with apnea monitors which they wore almost 24/7 for a while. They totally outgrew it around their edd.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yea she's coughing, heart rate drops and then comes right back up. I can't get a clear answer if they are counting it or not. Seems to depend on who I ask. Frustrating!
  • Options
    We really had to pace Anna using a Dr. Browns with preemie nipple. She would suck suck suck and forget to breathe. Feeding related, self-resolving bradys were not counted for us. 

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Options
    It was the only thing keeping us in the NICU the last week.  They told us he had to go 48 hours with no feeding-related episodes and 5 days with no sleep related ones.  With feedings, it helped us to use a slow-flow nipple and to really watch him for any signs of gagging/coughing, take the bottle out at any sign of trouble, and give him a couple minutes to recover before giving the bottle again.  He would always recover on his own though.  They said apnea and bradys are common in preemies and go away on their own around 36-38 gestational weeks for most babies and very very rarely last much beyond 40, so not to worry and just wait for him to mature.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DrRxDrRx member
    We still had them well after we left the NICU (about a month or 2) that were feeding related, but we were on oxygen and an apnea monitor after we left the NICU. My daughter was on caffeine about 6 weeks after we left the NICU to help with the Brady's.
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
  • Options
    See how the next few days go and talk with the Neos.  

My DD would have been in the NICU until she was 10 month old if we counted feeding related bradys.  Much to my shock and worry they didnt even send us home on a monitor because she was only having Brady's during feedings (as opposed to during sleeping).  She had major major episodes but we knew what to do, we took 2 CPR classes and we knew her signals well enough to know if it was a normal brady or something to be extra concerned about.  
    mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• Options
    Also I remember Anna's neo saying that it was actually a good thing that she had bradys when she choked or swallowed wrong instead of silently aspirating milk into her lungs and developing pneumonia without us knowing! Hopefully they will decrease as she matures. 

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"