Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Transition to new day care

My 16 month old will be transitioning to a new day cay next week. This week we are planning on taking him early in the morning to the new place and sitting with him for a little while. They also suggested leaving him for 20-30 min and returning to pick him up so we will probably try that too. Thankfully he will be starting with half days so hopefully that will also ease the transition. Any other suggestions? My concerns are his current DC still has him taking two naps (even though i think he has been working on dropping a nap for a while) and the new center they only get a mid day nap so he will likely be exhausted by pick up time (noon ish ). I have a feeling I am the one that is the most nervous. :). But any suggestions for what has worked for you are helpful. Thanks!
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Transition to new day care

• We just transitioned about 2 weeks ago and we just went cold turkey.  The most difficult part was that the new room in the new DC has the kids sleep on mats on the floor and he was still in a crib at the old DC.  They were great, though, and sat with him while he adjusted to staying on the mat.  I also go in at lunch to nurse (did that at the old DC too), so we kept that routine where he saw me at lunch, but we didn't do any partial days leading up to it.  I figured it'd be more confusing and our LO is easy going anyway, so we just took him to the new place starting day one.
  • maybe Im over thinking it.  DS is pretty easy going too.  Only reason we are moving to half days is my Hubby is staying home with the kids starting in Dec when I go back to work after maternity leave so DS will be half days at daycare and then home with DH in the afternoons.  The crib thing will be a challenge.  He is in a crib at DC now too and then he will move to a cot.  But you are right the DC gals are totally used to this so they know how to help him transition. 
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I would actually recommend dropping off and leaving and not coming back in 20-30 minutes unless you're planning on picking up for the day.  We transitioned DD to a new daycare at 18 months, and it took about 3 weeks for her to be totally comfortable.  Even still, some morning she is a little sad when I leave.  I would recommend dropping off, and then having a teacher or aide whisk him away to play with toys or have breakfast before he can figure out that you're gone.  The nap thing was tough for a little bit but she ended up transitioning very well.  It actually helped us a ton at home because she now has a regular nap schedule.  These teachers are very well-versed in getting kids acclimated to a new situation and will be sensitive.  They can also give you tips on how to transition best.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"