Postpartum Depression
Options

Successfully weaned off meds?

Hi guys, has anyone here weaned off of an anti-depressant or anti-anxiety med and been OK afterwards (i.e. didn't need the medicine anymore)? I was put on Zoloft 4 months postpartum b/c of depression, which is something I had suffered from (mildly) in the past...but also because of anxiety (heart racing, insomnia, etc), which was new to me. I am now a year postpartum and have been experiencing side-effects from the Zoloft, namely ZERO sex drive, so my Dr. recommended weaning down to a lower dosage. I was on 50mg so I weaned down to 25mg. It was surprisingly easy to wean and depression wise, I feel totally fine (weaned 2 weeks ago) but the anxiety has started to creep back in and again I'm having major problems sleeping. I hate this. I really want to be drug-free; I hate this having no sex drive business. But I also hate this feeling that my heart is racing, not being able to sleep etc. I'm really hoping that maybe some of you guys were on meds but were able to get off them and maybe treat their anxiety with natural remedies...? Homeopathic, meditation, etc. Any successful experiences you feel like sharing? 

Thank you so much

Re: Successfully weaned off meds?

• Options
    HI Cece
    Before i got pregnant I had a major anxiety/depression episode that I believe was a hormonal inbalance due to a certain type of birth control. When I got pregnant i decided to wean off all medication which was pretty much a living hell for a couple of weeks.  Not going to lie....there were a couple times when I thought the anxiety would come back full blown and I would have to talk myself out of panic attacks, but i weaned off a little slower and things seem to be better that way.  Maybe instead of cutting your medication in half.....wean off a little slower.
    After having my baby i felt the anxiety creeping back up slowly and I felt like it was due to my PMDD sypmtoms. I recently got an IUD put in and I honestly have felt so much better since.  This might sound strange...I know.....but its honestly made such a huge difference with me that my husband hugged me over the weekend and said "welcome back" with a huge smile on his face:D 
    So with all that being said......I wanted to advise that you take a look at your birth control method. Also, vitamins B6, B12 and Magnesium seem to make me feel better.  When I was having my episode of anxiety where i would experience every possible symptrom from insomnia, racing heart, headaches, arm/legs tinkling.....etc.  I found that Accupuncture and massage really helped calm my nerves.
    I know how frustrating it can be......and the scariness of having to be on medication but just know that if you take things really easy/slowly that it can be possible.   Stay active....work out and eat healthy as always.
    Best of luck!
    photo 521774ac-531f-42f9-9325-82efbf569d9f_zps25965887.jpg<photo b8da4dd1-ab31-4567-8e47-1eed1489f7ee_zps7c71559e.jpgbr>

• Options
    Thank you so much for that helpful and detailed response! I haven't been on birth control in a few years and we are TTC again but I'm thinking about going back on after the next baby. I remember it actually helps my moods when I was on it. I was try those vitamins as well. I work out everyday and that helps immensely but hadn't thought of massage, etc. Will try those as well.

Thank you :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Lurker here. :) I just weaned off Zoloft. I was having more issues than I realized with it. But weaning off was hard. I had felt worse than when I first started taking it. Numerous times I said to my husband That I thought I still needed to be on it even tho my doctor said I am good to stop taking it completely. My husband just kept telling me to give it more time. As my body adjusted I felt better. It took over a month if not two for me to feel like I didn't need Zoloft anymore.

When the dr originally told me to cut my dosage in half I remember I started having anxiety attacks and feeling more moody than normal.
  • Options
    I haven't successfully weaned off 100 percent. However I'm taking much less of my meds now than I use too. I just did it really, really slow. I had the horrible panic attacked and insomnia too. I want to be totally med free too one day...praying it can happen. I know it will eventually, however we want to TTC in the spring, so I'm feeling rushed right now. I would go really, really slow. I mean it has taken me like 4 months to wean from 2 mgs of Klonopin to .25mgs. It took me another 5-6 months to wean from 600 mgs of Serequel to 50 mgs. Slow is key!
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"