Blended Families
Options

attorney update

Still no return contact from the attorney. Still no papers. But we did get a bill for another $500. This is total BS. They said that what we paid covered it all and unless we had to do more or go further, we would not have any more charges.

So fed up.

Re: attorney update

• Options

Is this attorney local to where you are? If so, I'd be marching into the office rather than waiting for a phone call. I don't remember your situation exactly so maybe this suggestion isn't applicable.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    My attorney would never talk to me unless I replenished my retainer. At one point, I dipped something like $24 in the red, and the office wouldn't even lift a finger until I put in another $3k or so. 

And it wasn't because I was in bad standing. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is the way family law attorneys work unfortuntely, it's crazy how quickly little things like making copies or answering emails can eat up your retainer.  I'm sorry I don't really post much so I'm familiar with your situation, but have you gotten anything accomplished?
  • Options
    Sounds so familiar. People may disagree but I would fire the attorney and try another one.

This stuff requires a lot of faith and clear communication and if that isn't there, there are plenty of other attorneys desperate for work in this economy who will do that for you. Keep it moving! Good luck
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Everything was worked out and signed in court so I don't understand what the hold up is. We're just waiting our copy and the CS amount determination.

Yes, he is local, but they are out to lunch when I go on my lunch break and closed before I get off. And DH has gone to the office, and every time they are "in court" or "out of the office."

MIL said she will call the paralegal today. For some reason, they always talk to her. I seriously have some bones to pick with these people.
  • Options

Have they sent you a detailed bill showing what your retainer has covered so far?  If not, I would ask for a breakdown of costs. If the Judge has already signed off on an order, you can try calling the clerk's office and explain that you haven't received a copy of anything the Judge has signed. 

I am a paralegal and I can tell you that going into an attorney's office wanting to speak with someone right then and there probably won't happen, at least it doesn't in our office.  I also handle all client interaction after the initial consultation with our clients, so I don't think it's odd that you would speak to a paralegal when you call in with questions.  However, we charge a flat fee for our services, so if the attorney is billing you per hour for direct communication, you should be speaking with him, not the paralegal.

• Options
    Yes, we usually communicate with the paralegal. But she is not getting back to us. I say "attorney" as in his office and personnel.

Maybe we could just call the court clerk...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"