March 2013 Moms

Question for moms who started food

I know this is one of those "just google it!" questions, but since starting foods it seems poor LO has the hardest time getting poops out. So my question is should I also be giving him more liquids ie. water, juice, etc? I know dehydration can make people constipated is that the same for babies? Just wondering what other mamas are doing.

Re: Question for moms who started food

• No, they only need formula/breast milk at this age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Ditto JmeJme- they need to have formula or breast milk. You can't have him filling up on juice/water and risking him not getting the nutrients he needs.

If he's having a hard time though, maybe try to determine what food it is that's causing it. Bananas? Pears? (Pears always constipated my daughter- but fine with some kids). Is he still having a decent amount of wet diapers? I doubt he's dehydrated if he's still eating formula/bm- so I wouldn't worry. Not to mention, constipation in babies is when the baby poops hard pebbles and not by how often he/she goes.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks. I didn't think so, but first time mom doubt kicks in from time to time. He still has plenty of wet diapers, I just feel for him cause I'll see him trying to poop, just nothing coming out. Hoping some puréed prunes added into his food helps.
  • Dd went 9 days without going poop & her pedi suggested we give her 4oz of nursery water.
  • lkm2006lkm2006 member
    edited August 2013
    TheBump is pretty anti juice but there are times it can be very beneficial (I'm pretty lax about some stuff so take what I say as a grain of salt).

My LO was having the same problems (which can be pretty normal) and I've started doing 3 oz mixed with 1 oz of juice. Not everyday but if I notice he's having trouble. I promise it hasn't messed up him receiving enough formula!

• What others have said is true. Our pedi recommends brown sugar water and about 2oz of prune juice to help move bowels. It's just not something you want to do all the time. (Which is what I thought when I first read your post- hence the reason I said no! Lol). Sorry if I misunderstood. :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I thought you meant all the time also--I'm actually anti-juice this young, but when DD was super uncomfortable and hadnt pooped in a couple of days, I did mix 1 oz apple juice with 3 oz water, and she only drank about an oz of that.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Thanks everyone!

I thin the purées with water, other than that he's EBF.

I'll give it another day, hopefully my poor little guy unclogs soon.
  • when I made purees for DS1 - I always mixed in some pureed prunes... And FWIW DS1 still has constipation issues with bananas - he can have 1 a day; he's 2.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• We had a LOT of poop today! Not sure if it was the prunes or it just took time. A LOT OF POOP!! lol
  • I have my daughter a lil bit of organic sugar free prune juice. That worked the same day. I mixed it in her cereal with h20. It was 1 baby spoonful. I had tried the prunes baby food um yea it didn't work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"