Special Needs
Options

PROMPT

For those of you that have done PROMPT I have a question...

I found a certified therapist, but I am switching jobs and even after I get new insurance I'm not sure they will cover any speech (DS has apraxia). So with all that we could probably only afford every other week. This would be in supplement to the district therapy. Is this a waste of time and money or still beneficial?

Re: PROMPT

• Options
    Well, it probably depends. I tend to say some is better than none, especially since a good PROMPT SLP will most likely show you some of the cues that you can do with him at home. We work on a lot of lip rounding and things like that at home, in between therapy sessions.
    Is the district SLP doing PROMPT with him? If so, it might not be a big deal to skip private therapy. I'd also take into account wether or not he's making progress with the district therapy alone, but I don't see how more therapy could hurt.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    He's not through the district quite yet. He has been doing EI but will age out in 2 weeks. I'm not sure about the quantity or quality that we will get through the district. At the eval I told them I would not be ok with no individual - they even stated themselves they could barely understand anything he said. They have moved to a "group" therapy model and the therapist said she hasn't seen anyone get individual. But I am still pushing for it. So that's what makes me worry and makes me look for outside help.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would think PROMPT every other week would be better than nothing.  If they can show you what they are doing and give you things to do at home to help then I would think there would be a huge benefit to supplementing what you get through the school.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Bea - that sounds great....how generous are the income limits? Is there a chart or reference? And is there a website to apply?
  • Options
    If you get a great PROMPT therapist who is willing to teach you, it is worth every penny!  My daughter responded really well to the Kaufman approach and PROMPT together.  Not sure what state you are in, but can you apply for Medical Assistance to help get additional therapy?
  • Options
    It doesn't look like we qualify for the grant.

What is the medical assistance program? We are in CA.
  • Options
    In Pennsylvania the state health care system is called Medical Assistance.  It is an income based program, but is available to kids in Early Intervention or those with medical need.  Our insurance only covered a certain number of sessions, so we applied for MA based on medical need to cover the rest.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"