TTC After a Loss
Options

Herbal supplements

Have any of you used or tried herbal supplements for trying to conceive?

Re: Herbal supplements

• Options

Flame away, but I'm on Vitex (chasteberry) based on a midwife's recommendation.  She said that based on my cycles, I may have a shortened luteal phase (my periods have been very close after my loss) and that Vitex might be helpful to me.  She also suggested a few other things, but I'm not willing to try more than one thing at a time. 

I also drink green tea everyday (I have for years because I like it).  I'm willing to try the POM thing and/or raspberry leaf tea, too, because I like those things, anyway, but I haven't gotten around to doing it with any striking regularity yet. 

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • Options
    I am taking "Fertile Garden" as recommended by my acupuncturist. The RE is ok with that if on clomid. this cycle it has made my CM much more favorable, and I got a 'high' reading on my CBEFM on CD11 vs. CD16 without it last cycle. I think it has made a difference.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's good to know, too. I've read all kinds of info but wanted some opinions from real people on their experiences. I'm starting to wonder about the conceiving part for us, too, because I've gotten pregnant twice in the last 5 months. It's the staying pregnant that is more the issue, I guess.
  • Options
    Wish I had some for you guys, too!!
  • Options
    Previously Pg and BFP mentioned

Nope. None for us. I take prenatals and filmic acid. I did with my previous pg as well. I wasn't taking anything when I got my BFP.

THE DARK SIDE IT IS

and GBCB

BFP 8/2/12 EDD 4/9/13 Addie was delivered 1/4/13 at 26 weeks due to Eclampsia  

BFP 9/15/14 EDD 5/28/15 Please be our R A I N B O W take home baby BOY
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimageimageimage
    ~All AL always welcome~

• Options

I take a PNV, Vitamin D, Royal Jelly, Selenium, and Vitex.  I also drink green tea, raspberry leaf tea, and pom juice (along with tons of water).  I'm not sure if it actually helps with ttc, but I will say my mood has improved a ton.  My doctor has ok'd all of this so I do not see the harm.

Also, why would someone flame for using Vitex???

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

BFP 6.9.13|heartbeat of 128bpm 7weeks|7.23.13 ultrasound revealed no heartbeat|natural m/c and d&c 7.25.13

DS born 5.20.14 at 38 weeks

All are welcome

• Options

I take a PNV, Vitamin D, Royal Jelly, Selenium, and Vitex.  I also drink green tea, raspberry leaf tea, and pom juice (along with tons of water).  I'm not sure if it actually helps with ttc, but I will say my mood has improved a ton.  My doctor has ok'd all of this so I do not see the harm.

Previous PG/DS mentioned......

@Marcilene1 I'm curious, what is your reasoning behind the selenium supplement?  I'm considering taking it to help the prevention of pre-eclampsia (I'm at risk of developing it because I had it with DS).  If you don't mind me asking, how much are you taking?  Might be something to ask my MW about! 

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• Options
    lisagde said:

@Marcilene1 I'm curious, what is your reasoning behind the selenium supplement?  I'm considering taking it to help the prevention of pre-eclampsia (I'm at risk of developing it because I had it with DS).  If you don't mind me asking, how much are you taking?  Might be something to ask my MW about! 

@lisagde

I am taking 200mcg of Selenium because I have heard that it could help in lowering thyroid antibodies.  I don't know if the antibodies were the cause of my miscarriage, but I figured that taking the supplement couldn't hurt.  I have not heard about it helping to prevent pre-e, but I guess it wouldn't hurt ask your MW.

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

BFP 6.9.13|heartbeat of 128bpm 7weeks|7.23.13 ultrasound revealed no heartbeat|natural m/c and d&c 7.25.13

All are welcome

• Options

Vitex is basically a herbal clomid, so people should really check with their Dr beforehand.. Actually everyone should do that with any herbs or supplements.

@wickedsugar

I did see that mentioned in the blog (that Vitex is like herbal clomid), but online I just saw that it helps to balance your hormones and is good for endocrine system health.  I have told my doctor that I am taking it and she said it was fine, but now I am getting nervous about it.  Will it screw up my lining like clomid would?  Honestly, I do not really know what clomid does so when you say it is like an herbal clomid I am not really sure what that means.  Sorry for all the questions!

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

All are welcome

• Options
    lisagde said:

@lisagde

I am taking 200mcg of Selenium because I have heard that it could help in lowering thyroid antibodies.  I don't know if the antibodies were the cause of my miscarriage, but I figured that taking the supplement couldn't hurt.  I have not heard about it helping to prevent pre-e, but I guess it wouldn't hurt ask your MW.

@Marcilene1 - Cool, thanks for the info.  I've read that hypothyroidism is linked to PreE (I know this b/c I, too, am hypothyroid) so I wonder if that might explain how it helps prevent PreE.  I need to call my MW on Monday anyway, so I'll ask her about it then.  I hope it helps your thyroid antibodies!

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• Options
    lisagde said:
    lisagde said:

@lisagde

@Marcilene1 - Cool, thanks for the info.  I've read that hypothyroidism is linked to PreE (I know this b/c I, too, am hypothyroid) so I wonder if that might explain how it helps prevent PreE.  I need to call my MW on Monday anyway, so I'll ask her about it then.  I hope it helps your thyroid antibodies!

@lisagde

****previous pregnancies mentioned****

Ok see I did not know that about the link between hypothyroidism and pre-e.  I never had pre-e so I guess that's a good thing.  About my thyroid antibodies I will say that I think the selenium is working.  Two years ago when I was diagnosed the numbers were in the thousands and at my most recent test it was like 320 something, which is still very high, but obviously much lower than they were.  Good luck to you!

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

All are welcome

• Options
    catsinawindowcatsinawindow member
    edited August 2013

@Marcilene1 - Wow, that's a great improvement!  I'm so glad that the supplement seems to be helping.

Also, to answer the OP, I am taking prenatal vitamins, 500 mg/day calcium (possibly prevents PreE), and now maybe selenium ;)

• Options
    I took Vitex for a few weeks a couple of years ago.. Totally screwed with my system.. Never again.

This was my experience as well. It made my cycles that were already long, much longer.

Me: Endometriosis, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, Estrogen Dominance, Irregular Cycles
    DH:  100% Abnormal Sperm Morphology
     BFP #1 (Surprise!)  "Monkey"- 09/16/2006. DS born 06/01/2007.   
    BFP #2  "Quinn" EDD 06/21/13- MMC @ 8 weeks - Disc. 12/12/12 @ 13w0d 
    BFP #3  "Luna" EDD 03/31/14- MC 07/29/13 @ 5 w0d 
    BFP #4  "Star" EDD 07/06/14- MC 11/28/13 @ 8 weeks
    BFP #5 "Baby J"- 02/07/14. DS born 10/29/2014 My Rainbow!
    ~Everyone Welcome~

• Options

Vitex is basically a herbal clomid, so people should really check with their Dr beforehand.. Actually everyone should do that with any herbs or supplements.

@wickedsugar

I did see that mentioned in the blog (that Vitex is like herbal clomid), but online I just saw that it helps to balance your hormones and is good for endocrine system health.  I have told my doctor that I am taking it and she said it was fine, but now I am getting nervous about it.  Will it screw up my lining like clomid would?  Honestly, I do not really know what clomid does so when you say it is like an herbal clomid I am not really sure what that means.  Sorry for all the questions!

It doesn't affect the lining as far as I know, but it made me feel like shit & made a few cycles even longer & wacky (no bueno in my book)

Oh ok.  Thanks for the info.  I've only been taking it for a few weeks now so we'll see how it goes for me.

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

All are welcome

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"