February 2013 Moms
Options

taxi?

DS and I will be flying on our own next weekend and the airline only allows one of a car seat or stroller for infant.  I would like to have his stroller with me.  I'm staying 2 miles from the airport, so technically, I could walk there, but would rather not.  What is the rule on infants in a taxi? Can I hold him in the backseat?  Otherwise I'll have to try and make other arrangements, but I was hoping this might be the easiest solution. 
*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
imageimage

Re: taxi?

• Options
    I've never heard of allowing either a carseat or a stroller, usually both are allowed! I would fight to have the carseat on board for him to sit on.

As far as taxis, I know in the US (it looks like you're in Canada) it is technically legal for a child to ride in a taxi without a carseat. But I would never consider doing so as it's not safe. 
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am flying in/out of a US airport.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What carrier? I believe the FAA regulations will allow both without question.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    us airways.... copied from their site:

Infant is allowed:

• 1 fully collapsible stroller or 1 child restraint device or car seat (no charge)
    • If you're traveling internationally with an infant in lap, your child is allowed 1 checked bag (checked bag fees apply - max 62 in/157 cm and 50 lbs/23 kg)
    imageimage
  • Options
    That must be a new reg and really stinks. I was under the impression they had to allow a stroller without penalty because kids can't ride in a car without one. I would call and clarify. It's not like a carseat is optional.
  • Options
    Checking a carseat is considered very dangerous. The forces they could undergo as checked luggage would be comparable to the forces in a car accident, so while a seat may look safe after there's no knowing if it's structurally sound unfortunately. My husband is a chemical engineer and confirmed that changes to the plastic that could cause the seat to fail in an accident may not be visble by the naked eye.
  • Options
    Do they mean as a carry on/gate check? I'm sure you could check he carseat with your luggage.
    We don't have any checked baggage allowed (for free).

My husband is driving to the destination we are flying to, so I'm trying to travel as light as possible anyways.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Checking a carseat is considered very dangerous. The forces they could undergo as checked luggage would be comparable to the forces in a car accident, so while a seat may look safe after there's no knowing if it's structurally sound unfortunately. My husband is a chemical engineer and confirmed that changes to the plastic that could cause the seat to fail in an accident may not be visble by the naked eye.
    Yikes! I did not know this! Good to know.
  • Options
    I have ridden in a taxi with baby in a front carrier. It's definitely not the safest option but I would do it for local driving. I've always been able to gate check both a stroller and car seat (for free...).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Buy a seat for your child on the plane and take the car seat on the plane with you.  A child should be restrained at all times: car, plane or bus.  It is extremely dangerous to you and the baby.  Any checked car seat needs to be replaced right away.  They are considered crashed once checked either at the gate or at the ticket counter.
  • Options
    alake said:
    Buy a seat for your child on the plane and take the car seat on the plane with you.  A child should be restrained at all times: car, plane or bus.  It is extremely dangerous to you and the baby.  Any checked car seat needs to be replaced right away.  They are considered crashed once checked either at the gate or at the ticket counter.
    All of this except the bus part. Buses don't have the option to install a carseat at all. There are no seatbelts and no LATCH connectors. This is because the physics of what happens to a bus in an accident is very different than a car due to the size difference and a carseat/seatbelt would be less safe. Same with a train.
  • Options
    I just flew us airways and had no problem with bringing both. I just connected the car seat to the stroller, and I even put the base underneath in the basket. I have a mommy clip on the stroller which I used to hook my diaper bag and pump to. The airline didn't give me any problems. Once I got through security I checked in at the gate and got a gate tag for the stroller. I also purchased a stroller cover bag at babies r us which has helped from any wear and tear on the stroller. I've flown twice now and haven't had a problem either time. Hope that helps!
    Lilypie Maternity tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just flew us airways and had no problem with bringing both. I just connected the car seat to the stroller, and I even put the base underneath in the basket. I have a mommy clip on the stroller which I used to hook my diaper bag and pump to. The airline didn't give me any problems. Once I got through security I checked in at the gate and got a gate tag for the stroller. I also purchased a stroller cover bag at babies r us which has helped from any wear and tear on the stroller. I've flown twice now and haven't had a problem either time. Hope that helps!
    Thanks for posting this - I am 90% packed and had forgotten about my stroller bag.  THat would have sucked.

FWIW; we will be getting a ride with my BIL who has a rear facing seat installed in his vehicle for his son.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"