Preemies

Long intro update. NICU day 2

We have had a long 48 hours so just a brief update.
I started having contractions on 8/21 at about 230pm. They were intense and painful. My H and I had actually just got home from an OB appt where everything looked good. Got progesterone and tdap shot. HB was great on baby. We took off for L&D immediately. I knew whatever I was feeling was serious.
Since I was on HBR for 5+ weeks all the nurses know us and when we showed up and I explained my pain we were rushed to a room. My membranes had rupture and I was in labor. I received mag, indocin, betamethasone, penicillin. I received the series of steroid shots when first admitted for PTL at 23/2. And was given the first of the two yesterday. Long story short because I am beat, I was given an epidural around 11pm as the pain was not subsiding and I was dilating to 4cm at 100% effaced.
Fast forward to yesterday, contractions continued despite the indocin so I was put on pitocin to get contractions more regular as labor was happening and it couldn't be stopped.
We were unable to make the second dose of steroids. Ella Ruth was born 8/22 at 10:38 am weighing in at 3.1oz and 15.5 inches long at 29weeks and 6days.
Delivery was 3 pushes and she was out. Once the placenta came out it was discovered there was velamentous cord insertion (VCI) and an abruption. I have to still speak further with my MFM and OB on those issues. Both of which can cause PTL and it might not have been my cervix at all as origainlly thought.
Ella came out and was whisked away to the NICU team. She had to resuscitated and was given IVs and surfactant. Due to the VCI there were some blood vessel issues and Ella was sent for a blood transfusion.
We were not allowed to see her for 5 hours while all this was going on. More for mental protection for us, i think it would have killed us to see our baby like that. She was on a ventilator and is now on CPAP. Progressing very well.
I'm sorry if this is all jumbled I am mobile and pretty exhausted. We truly appreciate the support and ask for all the prayers you can send!
As of this morning 8/23 she received another blood transfusion as her hematocrit was still a little low. CPAP is doing well for her. We have heard her cry and changed we diapers a few times. Daddy got the first poopy one. :-)
We have a long road ahead of us and continue to be very positive she will do excellent!

Re: Long intro update. NICU day 2

• Wow- what a scary ride you have been on. I hope it's much less exciting from here on out. And congrats on your baby!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Congrats on the birth of your daughter! Glad to hear that she's progressing well on CPAP.
    This will be a long road (we hit 9 weeks on Wednesday), but you'll learn to really appreciate the many milestones along the way.
    Many thoughts & prayers to you and your family, I hope you have a smooth and uneventful NICU stay.
    Hoping this one stays put a little longer
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Welcome and congrats on the birth of your beautiful girl! My boys were born at 29w4d weighing 2lbs13oz and 3lbs3oz. They spent two months in the NICU before coming home. At 16.5 months old they are now caught up on every milestone except my oldest has a speech delay. Ventilator to CPAP is a great first milestone!
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • DrRxDrRx member
    Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! I'm happy to hear that she is already on CPAP. The NICU is indeed a long road, but you just take it one day at a time. My DD had to have 5 blood transfusions while in the NICU, so while scary, they will really help her out. Have you asked to see if DH can be a direct donor?
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
  • Congratulations on the birth of Ella.  She is making great progress already!  My DD had 3 blood product transfusions on her first day of life and about a dozen more after that.  They always helped stabilize her tremendously.  

Take things one day at a time.  Pump around the clock if you are able and try to remember to take care of yourself too.  
    mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• Congrats and welcome!  Staying on CPAP is great!  I hope she responds well to the transfusions and you get lots of time to start bonding with her.
  • Congrats and welcome! I look forward to more updates!

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"