Attachment Parenting
Options

Had someone offer me a sleep coach's number today

Was taking to another mom today about BFing (which we both currently do). Somehow it came up that I need to feed or pump at least every 5 hours. She looks at me and goes, " oh honey, your baby is 8mo old, you need to stop feeding MOTN or you will never sleep". I politely said that I get plenty of sleep, but I would let her know if I ever needed the number. Ha! No way! I sleep just fine while J dines at the all night boobie buffet. She wakes me up when I need to flp so the other boob can be snacked.
TTC Since 3/2010
Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

Re: Had someone offer me a sleep coach's number today

• Options
    Yeah, I'm anticipating this. My SIL has already promised several times to buy me a sleep training book (DD is only 11 weeks...), I just kind of nod and don't bother to correct her about infant sleep and breastfeeding. On a typical night, DD eats at 9, 2, and 6, and that is totally fine with me. I don't sleep a full night without waking up to pee or drink; why should she?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Lol. That's hilarious. DS nurses if he wakes up when I shift him and we all sleep fine. It's so much easier on everyone to let baby take the lead, and to just do what comes naturally to him.

People...sheesh! ;)
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NoeKNoeK member
    edited August 2013
    The boobie buffet!! I love it!
    LO like to nurse half asleep too. keep doing what you are doing because there is nothing better than a content baby
  • Options
      Yikes - Some people feel the need to "help" everyone. You know best and it doesn't effect them any

• Options
    Thanks, everyone! I feel confident in how I'm parenting J, so not planning to put hours on the all night buffet for awhile. The funny thing is her comment wasn't mean in any way, just coming from a different place.
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

• Options
    I'm with you, I don't even know how many times I wake up to "flip" so DD can nurse, and we both fall promptly asleep.

I think I'm going to start telling people that I'm "walk training."  I mean, if I don't train my DD to walk right now at 8 months, she'll never walk, right?  That's how I view sleep training - unnecessary and probably developmentally inappropriate in most cases.

Yes! This is genius!
  • Options

I'm with you, I don't even know how many times I wake up to "flip" so DD can nurse, and we both fall promptly asleep.

I think I'm going to start telling people that I'm "walk training."  I mean, if I don't train my DD to walk right now at 8 months, she'll never walk, right?  That's how I view sleep training - unnecessary and probably developmentally inappropriate in most cases.

Haha!

• Options

I love this! I have so much anxiety and self doubt about whether I should at least be doing some gentle sleep training. This makes me feel better :-)
  • Options
    I agree with you all, but also think that sleep coaches are fine. I have had a couple of friends who were truly in sleep hell, not getting any sleep, and starting to experience signs of anxiety and depression because of sheer exhaustion. They both hired a sleep coach who helped them gently figure out the best ways for them to get more rest. For one of them, that meant improving a bed sharing situation and for another, it meant moving to the crib and doing some gentle sleep "shaping" (staying with her LO, comforting, picking up and nursing as needed to comfort, but teaching LO how to fall asleep in the crib). Neither one of them did CIO. I'm just saying that I don't think that sleep coaching is the same thing as putting a baby in a crib and abandoning it for the night. At least, it doesn't have to be, and families have to find gentle approaches and solutions that get everyone the sleep they need. I do agree, though, OP, people have insane opinions about sleep and as long as everyone is getting the sleep they need to function appropriately, there's not a problem and no need to "fix" anything at all! :)
  • Options
    Um, I've never heard of this.  There is actually a thing as a sleep coach?  What kind of training/qualifications do these people have?
  • Options
    mysticl said:
    Um, I've never heard of this.  There is actually a thing as a sleep coach?  What kind of training/qualifications do these people have?
    I didn't ask. I'm getting enough sleep if DH takes DD a few times at the 5:30 shift. However, I'm really hoping that Fall and it being dark longer will move the morning chirping to say, 6:30. 
    TTC Since 3/2010

• Options
    It doesn't sound like your baby has any sleep issues nor do you, so I think she just has some skewed expectations or may be misunderstood?? Sometimes people are well meaning in giving advice but have no idea what they are talking about. It is my understanding that sleep coaches are trained to help mothers who are facing maternal depression, severe sleep deprivation and infant sleep issues that are marked by more than 3 nightly interruptions. Mostly I see them used by working mothers when they have to go back to work and baby does a reverse cycling (wanting to be awake with mommy all night b/c she's gone all day). 
  • Options
    @TLRachelle, it was so strange because I made no mention of sleep at all. It all stemmed from a BF discussion that had nothing to do with sleep.

Sure, I would love more sleep, but what mom wouldn't?! I also miss sleeping with my dog :)
    TTC Since 3/2010

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"