Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Baby scratching constantly

My DD is almost 8 months old and I'm trying to figure out what could be causing her to scratch herself so much.

A few months ago I noticed her starting to get some mild eczema on the back of her arms and the side of her thighs.  I did the basic things they say to do for this (changing body wash, special cream etc.) and it seemed to help, and pedi agreed it was under control just fine.

Fast forward to this week and she just seems to be scratching herself so much - and not just those areas, but all over - mostly her chest and torso.  There is no obvious irritation that I can see (rashes, bumps) etc.  She sometimes wakes in the middle of the night and I will see her on the monitor scratching herself and whining.

We already use a very gentle detergent.  She does the scratching whether she has clothes on or not.  She even digs inside her ears and scratches them, making them bleed (usually when she's tired).

I'm not sure what I can do to make her more comfortable because I have no idea what's causing it.  Any advice is appreciated!!
DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!

Re: Baby scratching constantly

• Hi Aimee.  My DD does something similar, but just with her face and ears (she's made them bleed as well).  We use Aquaphor on her cheeks and forehead.  Also, we swab out her ears after every bath (you can get safety tip q-tips).  Plus, I cut and file her nails very often.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Any chance you could be dealing with allergies? Food allergies can cause eczema in many children, so it might be worth asking your pedi about for a possible referral. Or you could always check with a derm.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD scratches her face and pulls on her hair when she's in my arms falling asleep. If theres a chance that its actually just a restlessness and sleepy habit and you notice it only when she's tired you could try mittens?
  • My LO also does this. He has baby eczema, and we use Aveeno Baby eczema cream. I'm pretty sure it's also a sleepy habit. We cover his hands with a blankie to sleep; it seems to work pretty well for him.
  • My lo had an eczema reaction to peas. Original sprout has been great. We alternate between that and California baby eczema cream. Also hypoallergenic detergent and dryer sheets.
  • Sep5BrideSep5Bride member
    edited August 2013
    This was exactly our issue and we finally seem to have resolved it! We had already switched to unscented baby wash and detergent, and were using Aquaphor twice a day, but that didn't help. Our pedi diagnosed it as eczema and recommended OTC hydrocortisone cream, which did not help either. Then she recommended prescription-strength hydrocortisone, which we tried two separate rounds of, and still nothing. When it turned into a rash all over her back, torso, arms, and legs, she referred us to a dermatologist.

The dermatologist said it's likely not true eczema, and is more likely cradle cap (seborrhoeic dermatitis), which typically starts on the head, but can be anywhere on the body - especially in creases like behind their knees and elbows. Regardless of eczema vs. cradle cap, though, it is treated the same way. She prescribed a stronger steroid cream that we are supposed to use for 1-2 weeks, then a more mild one for 2 more weeks, and then we see her again for a follow-up.  I was skeptical because everything we've tried has been supposed to "clear it right up in a couple days," and nothing has. This stuff really worked though, and her skin looked perfect within 1-2 days! 

So, my point is, Aquaphor and changing your baby products are good steps, but if your DD is like mine, you need something stronger to get over the hump. I don't like to use medications if we don't have to, but as the dermatologist said, it's better to do a short round of something strong than to keep using the less strong stuff for so long. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"