July 2012 Moms
Options

Friends that sell stuff

lewispmlewispm member
edited August 2013 in July 2012 Moms

I know we have several ladies on here that sell stuff, and I am definitely not referring to y'all in this post as you never push your product on us or anything like that. But...

I have a friend IRL that sells beauty products. We have been friends since elementary school but have lost touch in the recent years and haven't been as close. We still talk every now and then and visit when mutual friends are in town, but not nearly as much as we used to. In the past year, every.single.time she contacts me it has been in order to give me a free facial hoping I would purchase products, invite me for "pampering" in hopes I would buy, or to send me emails about events for her company. She will even text me "hey girl, I have a question for you" and I will answer right away and then she will spout off about some deal she is promoting. It is totally ruining our friendship and making everything awkward and insincere!

Does anyone else have friends that push their products too hard? How do you handle it? I don't want to lose her as a friend, but I feel like she only views me as a potential customer these days :(

Re: Friends that sell stuff

• Options
    That sounds really annoying. I think I would just tell her to knock it off and if I want product I will contact you.

Hate those pyramid schemes. It makes some women batty.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • Options
    MissMusic said:
    YES!  I had a "satellite friend" who sold Mary Kay.  I don't even wear makeup that often, and when I do it not MK.

She would send me emails, texts, stuff in the mail.  I just told her straight up that MK wasn't my thing and while I support her business, I can't financially support her business.

I still got stuff.

I reported everything she sent as spam.

I think you should tell her exactly what you wrote here: its making your friendship weird and you don't want to lose her as a friend, but you feel like thats all she sees you as.

@missmusic my friend sells Mary Kay as well! I have told her before that I am currently not in a position to splurge on make up products. I've told her I don't use Mary Kay. When she offered me the free facial and came back with a solution to every excuse in the book ( You don't have time? Oh, I can do it on a day you don't work. Don't want to bring Kellen? Oh, I can come to your house while he naps!) I finally told her it would just be a waste of her time as I just could not buy anything from her. Obviously a purchase was her goal, not "pampering a new mom" as she claimed, as she quickly withdrew her offer after discovering I would not be purchasing anything.

I'm just so bad with confrontation (I'm sure ya'll have noticed by now from some of my other posts) and my gut reaction is just to avoid her in order to prevent awkwardness, but that would be sad :(

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, my one SIL used to sell Pampered Chef and my other SIL sells Mary Kay.  I only purchased something once for my kitchen and I just straight up told both of them that if I was interested, I would let them know.  They totally respected my decision and never bothered me again.
    Visit The Nest
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    My mil sells this shit called Relive its basically a line of protein and vitamin shakes. She got me on the phone one day three way and signed me up for a "set" to sell. Yeah no. It was like $500 to start up and it was all a pyramid scheme. I had no idea what was going on until halfway through the phone call. So I had to back out as it were the best I could once I realized what was happening. I was pretty pissed that she was trying to get me to sell it, I thought she just wanted us to try some. She kept trying to sell is this stuff for years and I never did buy any.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    Omg I hate that!!!! I confess that years ago I temporarily lost my mind and tried to sell Arbonne. I was obnoxious and definitely bothered people that I barely spoke to :(. I would never buy into that crap again and I cringe when I see someone pushing stuff. I have a fb friend who is selling skinny fiber and its just post after post all day long :/
  • Options
    Yes! Every few years it seems she's selling something else. It's a shame too, because we've been friends a long time, but it keeps me from wanting to be close. I hate feeling like a "prospective client". I have to watch what I say around her, so I don't accidentally sound like I could benefit from the product.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Everyone's doing it... ;-)

Even a minor event in the life of a child is an event of that child's world and thus a world event.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"