Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Different age babies in one room?

We're expecting again and my daughter (currently 11 months) will be about 15 when I am due. My husband and I plan on having the newborn in the room with us for three months or so, but when it's time to put the new baby in a different room, the only other room is my daughter's room. By that time, she'll be 18-19 months. We're not worrying about painting or redecorating. If we have a boy, he'll have to share a purple-walled, butterfly room. The only furniture we're adding is a dresser (or something like that) and a crib. Everything else doesn't need to be duplicated. I know some families with twins have them share a crib, but I don't want to take a chance that my daughter will crawl, step, or roll on the new baby. Any advice on how to make this transition for them? I know it's a long way off, but it's really bugging me.

Re: Different age babies in one room?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My older 2 are 15 months apart and shared a room until DS turned 3 (we moved and they could each have their own room).  We started them together when DD was 6 months old and STTN.  Neither really noticed a difference.  We had wake ups from both kids with teething, etc, and they only rarely woke each other.  We had 2 cribs - I had no desire to have DS up and wandering around the shared room, throwing toys, etc in with the baby if he was in a bed.  And there is no way I would ever have 2 kids share a crib - they are such heavy sleepers that if the toddler rolled on the baby they may not wake up.  That is way more dangerous than adult-baby cosleeping. 
    We had a light brown wall, 2 white cribs, and 2 white dressers.  Decor was green bunny meadow stuff - so fine for both kids.  But we were team green both times, so that was the room we had for just DS, and moved DD right in!  Aside for her dresser and crib, we really didn't buy much for baby #2...
    Good luck!  Having them close was great :)
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I only say three months because that would be THE SOONEST I would move the infant into the other room. We moved my daughter to her room around 3-4 months because the smallest sounds would make her stir (I kid you not, she heard it when we sat on the bed!). And I wouldn't consider letting the kids co-sleeping before the youngest was four. That's a good age for them to be able to be aware of each other and be able to move well enough for it to be safe. My little sister, my youngest brother, and I shared a bed starting when he was three-four (my sister joined me when she had been that age). A mattress wasn't put on the top bunk until my mom thought we wouldn't fall off. We figured out how to make it work for all of us.
    Did you put the baby or the toddler down first at night, or at the same time?
    Thanks for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"