Pregnant after IF
Options

NT Scan - why or why not?

DH and I have to decide today if we will have an NT scan because I'll have to have it next week if we decide to go ahead.
I realize this may be a personal topic, but I'm wondering why others decided to either have the scan or not have it.  DH and I are going back and forth on if we think it's the right decision for us and I'm pretty stressed out about having a deadline to decide!
TTC since December 2011
Me: 29 ovulatory disorder
DH: 30 MFI - low everything

IUI #1: 11/5/12 BFN
December IUI cancelled due to cyst
IUI #2: 1/8/13 BFN

IVF in April 2013 transferred one beautiful blast on 4/13
Beta #1 4/22: BFP!! 33 Beta #2 54 Beta #3 70 Beta #4 83 Beta #5 105. Possible ectopic, MTX and M/C 5w4d

FET 6/21 - Beta #1: 79 BFP!! Beta #2: 253 U/S 7/12: saw the sac! U/S #2 7/19 great heartbeat of 127!! U/S #3 heartbeat of 154! U/S #4 graduated to OB

EDD 3/9/14

imageimage

Re: NT Scan - why or why not?

• Options
    I thought this was just routine and something everyone does. Am I missing something?
  • Options
    Roeni said:
    I thought this was just routine and something everyone does. Am I missing something?
    My OB said it is our choice if we want to do it or not.  She told us that people often choose to have it done to either make a decision about terminating the pregnancy or to be able to plan if the results determine there is an increased risk of Down Syndrome.  DH and I decided that we would not want to terminate. 
    However, we are back and forth on if we want to know if our baby has an increased risk - I thought it might be helpful to be able to plan ahead and DH isn't sure he would want to know and worry about it for the next 7 months when there's a possibility the baby would be fine.  Hope that makes sense.
    TTC since December 2011
    Me: 29 ovulatory disorder
    DH: 30 MFI - low everything

IUI #1: 11/5/12 BFN
    December IUI cancelled due to cyst
    IUI #2: 1/8/13 BFN

IVF in April 2013 transferred one beautiful blast on 4/13
    Beta #1 4/22: BFP!! 33 Beta #2 54 Beta #3 70 Beta #4 83 Beta #5 105. Possible ectopic, MTX and M/C 5w4d

FET 6/21 - Beta #1: 79 BFP!! Beta #2: 253 U/S 7/12: saw the sac! U/S #2 7/19 great heartbeat of 127!! U/S #3 heartbeat of 154! U/S #4 graduated to OB

EDD 3/9/14

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB wouldn't do it because my risk level is low and the neck fold was normal.
    ~ Everyone Welcome ~
    TTC: 05/2011 Me: 32, All Clear DH: 38 Dx: MFI Low Testosterone & 1% Morphology
    IVF #1 w/ICSI & IMSI, 12/03/12: ER: 27R, 20M, 15F
    4 blasts frozen (3BA 4BA 4BB 5BB) b/c of moderate OHSS
    FET #1: 02/08/13 Transferred 3BA & 4BA | HPT 5dp5dt BFP!

10dp5dt Beta #1 - 810 | 12dp5dt Beta #2 - 1843 BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We did it because I believe in being informed the best I can.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    htn1763htn1763 member
    edited August 2013
    We did it because I believe in being informed the best I can.
    This. 

Even if you don't plan to terminate I don't think it is responsible to not be completely informed. There was a post I read the other day about a condition that was found that was deadly for the mother and had they not known both the baby and mom could have died. 

Me: 33 DH: 32 SA#1 low count (6mil) SA#2- now in IUI range!(30mil) Dx:MFI
    11/1- IUI#1,12/1- IUI#2, 1/2- IUI#3 all BFFN
    IVF#1. Long Lupron.ER 3/8 10R,4M,5F. ET 3/3-one 1AB, 2 frosties 5dp5dt-BFP!! Beta 3/25-794 Beta 3/27- 1794
    First u/s 4/8 saw hb. 4/22 missed mc 8w3d. d&c 4/26
    FET #1- bcp start 6/9. ET 7/12. 2 perfect blasts.5dpt-BFP!! 
    Beta 7/24 -1,239!! Beta 7/26- 2569 Beta 7/29- 7120.  U/S 8/7 hb 118! U/S 8/14 hb 143! U/S 8/20 hb 170. Graduated!! Stick baby stick! 

• Options
    Read the link that was provided. The NT scan looks for far more than Trisomy 21, it's a useful tool/scan and honestly having or not having it does not have anything to do with how one feels about termination. It's really too bad it's been linked to that. The scan is about being informed and (IMO) preparing to be the best parents you can be to any child.
    BzeetyD = 38, Mr. BzeetyD = 44 together 12/02 married 9/08
    TTC #1 since 1/10
    DX: Unexplained/??? MFI issues

Our lil' lost sparks:
    5w3d loss 7/30/10 - EDD March 2011
    8w loss 4/15/11 - EDD November 2011
    8w3d loss 8/2/12 - EDD March 2013
    4w c/p loss 10/29/12 - EDD July 2013

Long story: trying on our own + testing testing testing with 6 rounds of Clomid, more testing, injectables + TI, laparoscopy - one tube blocked, 2 IUIs with Follistim...BFNs.
    RPL testing all normal, Karyotyping normal

Moving on to IVF.

IVF #1 April 2012 = BFN, IVF #2 June 2012 = BFP. U/S 7/23 = saw heartbeat but measuring behind. Follow up U/S on 7/30 - no heartbeat. D&C 8/2. Trisomy 12. IVF #3 Oct 2012 = Chemical Pregnancy

Phone consult with CCRM on 12/12/12 - ODWU 1/4/13 - both tubes clear(!) - AFC 24, AMH 3.2, FSH 9.6, LH 5.4, E2 25. DH has high frag rate but improved!
    IVF #4 March 2013 CCRM. EP protocol w/ Menopur, Gonal-F & Dexamethasone. ER 3/29 & IMSI, PICSI. 43R 13M 10F 6blasts bio'd. CCS testing reveals 3 normals!!!
    FET 5/31/13 of 1 4AA blast - thawed and expanded. 4dp5dt BFP.
    Beta 9dp5dt = 181, 11dp5dt = 427. 1st u/s showed a healthy heartbeat! EDD 2/16/14

After 4 years of hoping and heartbreak, our sweet little bean was born on 2/19/14
    We are so in love with her.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

Everybody is welcome!!!
  • Options
    I'm in the "more information is better camp" -- and that doesn't have anything to do with a decision to terminate.  
    Married 8/2008. IVF with PGD March 2013.
    3/22 ER: 25R, 20M, 15F. 9 genetically normal, and 3 survived to Day 5
    3/27 ET: transferred 1 embryo, beta 9dp5dt=163, 12dp5dt=639
    4/25 1st ultrasound at 7 weeks = identical twins with heartbeats?!!!
    PPROM at 31w, delivery at 32 weeks of two beautiful girls
  • Options
    Are you at an increased risk for chromosomal abnormalities? I'm 38 so I decided to have it done, but it stressed me out- it was 2.3mm which they said was normal (under 3) but it was a lot more than other people I know. I had to wait 1 plus weeks until my MaterniT21 tesults came back fine. I found it a little stressful.....
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had the maternitT21 done, which is far more accurate, and the NT scan since this is still routine.  the NT scan/ materniT type test does not necessarily equal termination.  this enrages me that people associate this with being informed.   i think it's juvenile and shortsighted to bury your head and not be aware of any possible complications your newborn might have.

• Options
    I know its a tough choice. My cousin was born with some disorders that were unknown during pregnancy. It was hard for my aunt to understand and get everything properly in order for her. Maybe its best to know ahead of time so you can try to do your research and understand how your life may be altered. Good luck to you, and congrats. Ultimately this is a great blessing!!!
    TTC Since 112010 Naturally. Diagnose:PCOS(ME) + Low Motility(HIM). Started IVF+ICSI Cycle 12312. ER 27 & ET 210 two embies transferred. *BFN 1ST IVF CYCLE.* **Getting as healthy as possible and will try IVFICSI#2 again hopefully in April.** -- HAVE FAITH; LET GO & LET GOD --
  • Options
    The NT scan is not routine at my clinic. They will only do it for mothers over 35 or mothers with family history of chromosomal issues. So for me it wasn't even a choice. I don't feel bad not having it though, because I know my risk is so low. Also, this is very likely the only time I will be pregnant, so I plan to go through with it no matter what the risks may end up being. If I have one shot at having babies, it is worth any risk.
    TTC since June, 2011 with anovulatory PCOS, 1 blocked tube, and mild MFI
    3rd cycles clomid + Ovidrel = BFN
    4th cycles letrozole/Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 = BFP! Twins due 2/5/2014
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    First of all, if you are not willing to get an amino or CVS test done, then I wouldn't do the NT scan. The NT scan only measures risk, is not a diagnosis, and can be inaccurate. Secondly,for people to say that not getting the NT scan is irresponsible is ridiculous. You can be as equally prepared getting a level 2 ultrasound and fetal echo at 20 weeks. Don't fall into that pressure trap. I know a lot of women on this board have a pie in the sky mentality that the only reason the test is done is to be prepared, but that simply isn't true. 75-85% of women who do the NT scan and an amino/CVS terminate their pregnancy. It gives a woman the option of terminating sooner rather than later, which is why it was originally developed. However, I know plenty of pro-life women who have had it done, which I have no problem with. Its not required and don't let anyone make you feel like you are a bad mother for not doing it.
  • Options
    CousinVickiCousinVicki member
    edited August 2013
    belgirl said: First of all, if you are not willing to get an amino or CVS test done, then I wouldn't do the NT scan. The NT scan only measures risk, is not a diagnosis, and can be inaccurate. Secondly,for people to say that not getting the NT scan is irresponsible is ridiculous. You can be as equally prepared getting a level 2 ultrasound and fetal echo at 20 weeks. Don't fall into that pressure trap. I know a lot of women on this board have a pie in the sky mentality that the only reason the test is done is to be prepared, but that simply isn't true. 75-85% of women who do the NT scan and an amino/CVS terminate their pregnancy. It gives a woman the option of terminating sooner rather than later, which is why it was originally developed. However, I know plenty of pro-life women who have had it done, which I have no problem with. Its not required and don't let anyone make you feel like you are a bad mother for not doing it.

what??? where are you getting these
    insanely high stats from????? some pro-life propoganda? 

i  know PLENTY who have done both and did not terminate. I do know some that have, due to SEVERE issues, and i completely support this choice.   which, yes, is why you have it done early, not wait until 20 weeks.    So indeed, it is to be prepared, but it is also to give the parents a choice, and what's wrong with that?   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"