Preemies
Options

speech development

My son was a 30 weeker and is now approaching 18 months old (adjusted 15 1/2). He says a few words but still just babbles. He is very vocal, but pretty much gibberish. 

Any reasons for concern. 

When did your preemie start talking?

Anything I can do to help him?
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: speech development

• Options
    My daughter was a 30 weeker and is approaching 20 months (adjusted 17.5). She has yet to say one word, and I asked for early intervention/speech therapist to evaluate her. She qualified, because she is obviously behind. They come every other week and have taught us some sign language. Has he had a hearing test, or been checked for fluid in his ears? Our pedi suggested it at her 18 month appt, and she's now failed 2 hearing tests (certain high and low ranges, she can't seem to hear), and it seemed like she had fluid to the audiologist. Made an appt with an ENT doctor. The speech therapist thinks that it's a good possibility that she has fluid in there, based on her ability to follow my directions but not say any words. At 15.5 months, I would say a few words is good. If you're concerned, ask your pedi and maybe call Early Intervention in your county.
  • Options
    If he has a few words already then I truly wouldn't worry. Ds had maybe a couple of word approximations until he started to walk just shy of 17 months (15.5 adjusted). Once he did better walking, so, around 16-17 months adjusted, his speech took off. We were in speech therapy already since we had concerns and they worked on feeding issues too, but by 20 months it was clear that we didn't need speech. He is now 32 months and only speaks in full sentences and has SO much to say!
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    IrishsapphireIrishsapphire member
    edited August 2013
    My daughter is 16 months old.  She has been walking on her knees, but this was the first week that she really started to walk better.  Before it was more just kinda that she would walk, and then walk on her knees.  It is not a perfect walk, but it is just where she is at.  And I am proud of her.  

She kinda says some words, but babbles like she is communicating.  I get worried that she might be behind.  It is a sensitive subject for me because I have two preemies that I love a lot, and I want the best for both of them.  

I am going to ask my pediatrician at her next appointment.  

And I have enrolled her in a Music Rhapsody class at a dance school for September.  I looked at it to be a fun class to express herself with music and dance.  
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"