TTC After a Loss
Options

Radon?

So, the house next door to us just sold and we met our new neighbors this evening. I was talking to the wife and my dh was chatting with the husband and I hear him tell my husband that we should have our house checked for Radon gas, as I guess the levels in the house were like really really high, and they are starting the mitigation process tomorrow so we may hear noise, blah blah blah... I immediately came in and went on a Google binge and was not happy, things like radioactivity, possible link to miscarriage and some evidence of male fertility issues.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this or has had any Radon problems in your homes?. I told dh that I am calling the Radon people first thing in the morning, of course I am now freaking out and am insisting on leaving all the windows open all night long. Let the burglars steal all of our Radon soaked belongings!!!
Married my keeper ~ 7.14.07
Furbaby joined us ~ 9.21.07
First BFP ~ 7.4.11
DD Born ~ 3.14.12
Second BFP ~ Feb 2013 ~ EDD ~ 10.19.13
Angel Baby born ~ 5.1.13

imageimage

Re: Radon?

• Options
    We are building a house and my dh added a radon detection thing. Not sure what it does. I was told radon is an issue in rocky areas.
    imageimageimage
    Funny Anniversary Ecard: I love being married to my best friend. I can tell him anything because half the time he doesn't hear me.
    TTC Sine June 2013
    BFP #1 August 6, 2013  MC August 10, 2013
    Started temping January 2014
  • Options
    We had our house tested and the levels were high so we got a radon fan installed. It was about $800 or so and the levels are totally in check. It's been almost 6 and a half years so I don't really remember what the fuss is all about but whatever it was it was bad enough to spend the money for the fan.

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 5/19/2013. MC 7/2/2013 (9w6d) with est. loss at 8w. Miso 7/3/2013 and emergency D & C 7/6/2013.

BFP#2 11/6/2013.  CP 11/14/2013.  

BFP #3 12/13/2013.  Beta #1 @ 15dpo- 239. Progesterone 27.  Beta #2 @17dpo - 90.  CP 12/21/2013

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  -Philippians 4:6-7

All PgAL and PAL welcome.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When we were house searching, we learned about radon.  Usually areas that are hilly or rocky have traces of radon.  It is still being understood by the science world.  I don't think anyone really has a firm grasp on it.  Many people in radon-afflicted areas get a ventilation system put in which pipes extends from underneath the first floor and there is an exhaust fan that pushes the radon our of the house.  Even if you get this system, you should periodically check your levels to make sure it is working properly.  I wish I knew more, but I never lived in an area with radon.  Good luck!
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• Options
    Did you come across this site in your search?  https://www.epa.gov/radon/zonemap.html It shows which areas are more at risk and how to test your home.
      Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image 
  • Options
    Thanks guys!! Hubby just ordered the test kits from Amazon! Hopefully the levels will be normal, that was the first freak out I've had in a while!! Got to love TTCAL brain...
    Married my keeper ~ 7.14.07
    Furbaby joined us ~ 9.21.07
    First BFP ~ 7.4.11
    DD Born ~ 3.14.12
    Second BFP ~ Feb 2013 ~ EDD ~ 10.19.13
    Angel Baby born ~ 5.1.13

imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks guys!! Hubby just ordered the test kits from Amazon! Hopefully the levels will be normal, that was the first freak out I've had in a while!! Got to love TTCAL brain...
    I'm going to buy a kit too. DH is laughing at me. He thinks we're being paranoid. Stupid DH.
    Not paranoid at all.  Radon is very dangerous, but also very easy to test for and address (if needed) with the mitigation systems PPs mentioned.  We had ours tested when we bought our house because we live in a high Radon area, and it was fine, but we were told to re-test every couple of years.

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #1 1/29/13, EDD 10/9/13 
    MMC discovered at 10 weeks (baby measured 9 weeks) D&C on 3/16/13 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
    BFP #3  8/11/14  EDD 4/22/14
  • Options
    uneek1323 said:
    Did you come across this site in your search?  https://www.epa.gov/radon/zonemap.html It shows which areas are more at risk and how to test your home.

I was going to recommend this site as well.

Also, if your home is in a high-risk area, you may be able to get a test kit for free. We got a free one...I think it was through the county health department. I hope your levels are nothing to worry about!

1 miracle Earth baby and 5 Angel babies

~All welcome~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"