Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

refusing bottle at daycare

Hi,

I'm new to this board. I'm a mom to an almost 1 yr old baby girl. She's my 4th child, but the first in daycare when under a year old. With my other 3, I also worked FT but worked opp shifts with their dad so they never had daycare.

Anywho, DD has suddenly started refusing the bottle (pumped breastmilk) at daycare. She's never been one to drink much from a bottle at daycare, prefering to wait until I get her and then she pretty much nurses throughout the night. But now, she's flat out refusing to drink milk from the bottle, cup or anything. And she's crabby to boot :(

I've just got a thought while typing this to have daycare try mixing it with baby oatmeal and feed it to her. Does anyone have any other ideas? I know that ultimately it won't harm her to wait it out, but I feel for my daycare lady who just can't figure out how to make the girl happy.

Thanks!

Re: refusing bottle at daycare

• Options
    What about just putting the milk in a straw cup?  If she's almost 1, there's no need to keep the bottle if she hates it.
  • Options
    daycare tried that too. DD wouldn't take it. Stubborn little thing lol. I took DD's sippy from home to daycare and DD will drink water out of it, but not milk. So, breastmilk is getting mixed with oatmeal and a fruit and that's how daycare is getting it into her. 
    We're in for it with this girl I think lol. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My 9 month dd has had issues with taking a bottle at daycare since she was 4 months, the only difference is she's ff. She usually only drinks 3-5oz whens she's there, then chows down at home. Its been completely frustrating but after tracking her intake its always been in the range of what it should be. So her pedi told me not to worry about it.
  • Options
    Silly babies. They much go on strike to protest being away from us during the day! At least now daycare is able to get her to take the milk mixed with oatmeal, and since sending DD;s sippy cup from home to daycare, she's at least drinking a little water. 
  • Options
    Lol I know. I think dd just gets way to distracted and excited by all the big kids that she doesn't notice she's hungry til she's home. And since she is getting oatmeal at least its something. As long as they're growing that's what counts.
  • Options
    My LO stopped taking bottles at daycare at around 9 months old (she's almost one now). Now she just drinks water during the day. She's eating enough solids (including oatmeal with milk mixed in) that it hasn't really been a problem. She also won't nap at daycare and then spends the entire weekend napping... that's been more of a problem...
  • Options
    My baby doesn't eat a lot during the day when I am away, often refusing bottles, and also water, which makes me worried about her getting dehydrated. She will eat really liquidy purees or cereals though, so that has been our solution.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog
  • Options
    Oh good to hear my LO is not out of the norm! Napping at daycare is an issue here too. Of course, she doesn't like to nap at home either :/
  • Options
    Is it the right temperature? My DD will only drink very warm milk. She will not even drink cold whole milk.
  • Options
    My LO is fussy about that too. She's 11 months so daycare has the temp of the milk she likes figured out by now, but this new refusing the bottle/cup, etc just threw us for a loop! 

• Options
    I am going through this now! My LO is only 6 months (almost) and will only have 7 - 10 ounces while I am away but will be attached to the boob when I get home.  It is killing me and creating some bad sleeping habits bc she peeps a lot to eat and I feel obligated to go to her since I know she is making up for what she did not have during the day.
  • Options
    We are going through this right now! Daycare is having a hell of a time getting her to eat or drink anything since yesterday.  I have a call into her doctor now since her diapers are getting few and far between.  She doesn't nap at daycare well either.  I feel like it's been something every week!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS wasn't drinking from a bottle at daycare and we discovered recently that if he is sitting in a highchair, he doesn't have any toys around to distract him and he drinks fine.  Before, if we held him, he would squirm the whole time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"