LGBT Parenting

share your story

newmompeanutnewmompeanut member
edited August 2013 in LGBT Parenting
I'm feeling overly sappy today and @KH826 's story of their engagement on their 74 month anniversary got me curious about everyone else's engagement stories.  :)  Please bring on the sappiness !  :)

Re: share your story

• :)  I'll play.

H. and I talked for awhile about getting married...  It was really important to her that we make some serious steps towards committing to each other long term before we entertained the idea of making a baby - so we went through a process of getting a joint bank account and moving in together... and part of that was that we decided we would get married at some point.

We talked about it and decided that because neither one of us wanted to "miss out" on getting to plan a big surprise for each other to propose, we would do it at the same time.   We ordered our rings online (a simple silver knot for both of us), and chose our month-a-versary to do it on.

That evening we were at a film festival, so we went out for dinner.  We each came up with the top 5 reasons that we wanted to marry the other person, and exchanged these over dinner.  H. also put together a video for me online to our favourite song full of pics of us and things we do together - it was so sweet!    Then we asked each other and exchanged rings :)  

How we got engaged is pretty typical of us as a couple.   It was important to us to make space to do it intentionally, and to give each of us the opportunity to be sweet and thoughtful to each other.   It was lovely :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
    Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
    dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
    Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

• Hi! I'll play, too. :)

On a Sunday I had to go into work, which almost never happened. DW was at home and went to work out, and I was happy that we were busy. When I got home, she said, "I need new workout shoes; let's go to the outlets!"

We almost never shop, and the day was crisp and cold and bright sunny, and I felt super happy, so I just cheerfully agreed, changed quickly and jumped in the car.

As we were driving out there, we were talking and just havig a great drive. In fact, we were enjoying ourselves so much, she missed the exit. She asked me if I minded just driving for awhile. I didn't. She was leaving in a couple weeks for 5 months of job training and I figured she might just want to drive through our beautiful state. Her grandparents had a ranch about an hour on, and I imagined she was nostalgic and thoughtful. Her grandfather passed away a couple years ago and she missed him very much.

We drove for about a half hour and then stopped at a nationally historic waterfall and restaurant for lunch. We talked and people watched and generally enjoyed ourselves. When we were done she asked if we could keep driving, and I said, "Absolutely."

She drove about another hour and we kept talking about life, our families, our dreams. I knew we were by her family's ranch. She pulled off the highway and to a little park at the mouth of a river that I knew flowed through the ranch.

She said she wanted to get out and we did and then she started talking about how much she missed that part of her family and how she saw me as her building a new part of her family. And then she looked right at me and asked if I would marry her! Of course I said yes.

We drove back toward home and were just euphoric. After about an hour she pulled off the highway at a random exit and I was a little confused. She pulled up to a beautiful historic hotel and it turns out she had made a reservation and had my overnight bag in the back of the car! With all my things packed!

We had a great steak dinner and were we're completely in love.

The ring she gave me was an antique hand cut diamond set in a vintage Art Deco platinum setting. Perfect!

While she was gone for the five months I made her a ring by carving a wax cast and choosing an antique diamond. I had the ring cast and diamond set by a great local jeweler-artist.

The rings are similar in style, but individual. I designed her's to echo mine, but it is more modern and sleek. On the back part of the band there is a line engraved that is the exact shape of the road that we drove for over a year to see each other, 150 miles long reduced to 1/3 of an inch. A tiny diamond at each end represents us and that no matter how far apart we are, we are still connected.

I love her so much. We got married last year and were two days pregnant at the time. We joke that almost no gays have a baby 9 months after their wedding. :)

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Sorry for the signature, it's way off. :)

Here's our little bunny-boy.

CageyMack
    37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

• Loading the player...
  • Oh this is fun :)

K & I had discussed marriage VERY early on in our relationship.We were laying in bed and she just asked. I had to ask her three times if she was serious, she was. I of course said yes and we picked out rings the next day. Since it was super early in our relationship we knew our parents wouldn't take us seriously, so we didn't tell anyone. Fast forward to our one year anniversary, it happened to be Motor City Pride that weekend and we had reserved a room in the Renaissance Center (the huge hotel that helped sponsor pride) for the weekend. We had dinner and went up to our room for the night. We had a great view of the city scape on the 23rd floor. I was pulling out something out of my bag with my back to her and when I turned around and she was on one knee with a ring pop and asked me if I would make it official and marry her. I sobbed and we called our parents and let them know. It was beautiful and magical and so thoughtful that she had it planned :)
    M: 25  DW: 26
    Married 5/31/13
    TTC #1
    Lesbian mamas to our fur babies
    11/13 - Waiting for test results to get the party started!

• I love hearing other peoples stories.

Here is our engagement story :-)

A friend of ours is in a band and G planned the proposal with them ahead of time.  The band was playing at Grandview Cafe, so our normal group of friends went out to see them play.  I knew that G was acting a little strange and kinda suspected that she might be proposing so I wore an outfit that I bought one of the first times we hung out.  So it was sentimental.  The band took a break and the lead singer asked G to come up on stage to help her with something and handed her a large package.  G pulled me on stage with her and handed me the package and told me to open it.  As I opened it G got down on one knee and I opened a caricature picture of her down on one knee and it said "Will you marry me?" The caricature also included in the backround was small things related to memories in our relationship, such as a picture of Chase, a beach and dumpster (where we had our first kiss, haha).   G asked me to marry her and my response was "OFCOURSE!"  G then handed me a diamond ring, it was actually my grandmother's ring.  G had to call and ask my grandmother for it and then got it from my mother.  It was wonderful that my mother, sister and many friends were able to be apart of the special moment.
    I proposed to G about a month later.  We had planned to have couples massages.  So I called the massage therapist ahead of time and she was a part of the proposal.  I got a 30 minute massage and G got a 60 minute massage.  After I was done with my massage I went and picked up an arranged bouquet of her favorite flowers.  Towards the end of G's massage the therapist said she needed to step out for moment, then she came and got me and I walked into the room with the flowers.  I sat down next to G, handed her glasses to her and she was confused why I was there.  I showed her the flowers and told her that I loved her very much and wanted to ask her to marry me.  She gladly accepted and I handed her the engagement ring (that she thought was on backorder)  We went to Melting Pot that evening for a celebration dinner.  
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• I proposed to A while we were in Costa Rica. I have been SCUBA diving since right after college and she got her certification right before the trip. We did about 6 dives while we were there and on the last one I pulled a sign out of my wet suit at about -60ft. She said yes and I gave here this awful cheapo ring that I got from Walmart because I was afraid I would drop the real one. Our dive master took some photos and when we got done with the dive I gave her the real ring (the fake one is now in the wedding scrap book). We didn't actually get married until about two years later when marriage was legalized in NY. As soon as it was legal we booked a venue and planned our whole 100+ person wedding in less than 2 months. It was amazing! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"