March 2013 Moms
Options

WWYD....

So I am at the end of my 6 month leave and now I have to choose what I will do. My former job included 50 hours a week, a mix of 1st an 2nd shifts, weekends, holidays and travel. Also the potential to be relocated at any time. They have a lower position which is 4 pay grades behind mine that offers *better* hours but it would be around a $20,000 pay cut. What would you do? Take the better hours and sacrifice the pay or suck it up for the $20,000 and hope you don't miss too much of your LOs life?

Re: WWYD....

• Options
    I think that's too much of a personal decision for others' opinions to influence.

Do you love your job? Would you miss it? Do you love your career? Would you mind the step-down, and can you afford the pay cut and still live comfortably?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I am in a similar but different situation. My current jobs involves being on call weekends and evenings as sometimes being out of the house or work at all hours of the night. And travel twice a year.

The catch is I am running a family business and without my involvement it will be dissolved. An the pay is probably better than another job I would find.

I am keeping my ear to the ground for other opportunities (still have 7 months left of mat leave. I know I want a different job know that we have a child and we can afford the pay cut but I feel like I will be letting down members of my family (but others want out too).

Maybe you could work your way back up to the higher position once LO is older and you feel ready to do so?

DD #1: March 20, 2013
    DD # 2: May 2, 2015
    EDD #3: March 4, 2018

• Loading the player...
  • Options

JmeJme has great questions to think about. I would just add one. Will taking this step down hurt you for future career opportunities?

This is a tough decision, good luck to you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Options
    It's definitely what would work best for you and your family, but if it were me making the decision I would take the lower paying job in a heartbeat..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"