One & Done: Only child

Table for 12

Anyone watch this?  Anyone else drawn to reality shows with HUGE families, just for the shock factor?

I was watching tonight (had it DVR'd from earlier today) and the family was going school supply shopping. (FYI- if you aren't aware, they have a set of twins that I believe are 12, a set that are 10, and six 5 year olds- at the time of this taping, anyway).   The 4 older are in middle school, the small ones were entering grade K.  Oh, might I add .. one of the sextuplets has cerebral palsy and in wheelchair.

The supplies, man.  My DD is entering grade 2 and I think her supply list is crazy.  Imagine that 9 more times....
And the sneakers? 10 pairs? The clothes?  Even just the socks and underwear..  forget the shirts, jeans, etc.
Then my mind started spinning... the field trips!  The LUNCHES. 10 lunches, every day.  Forget the cost, who the hell wants to pack 10 lunches?  Sometimes I grumble making one, especially towards the last 2 months of school.

Just wow.   I love the family, though.
E+C
(+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
TTC

Re: Table for 12

• I used to watch Jon & Kate Plus 8, and that was enough to stress me out when I thought about what they were spending then, let alone what they'd spend on school supplies.  Although with the reality TV families, it's probably not as much of an issue with the royalties they get for doing the show lol.  But yeah, large families not on TV?  Gives me anxiety just thinking about it.
    I thought this, too... but then I wonder if maybe they don't get a ton.  Or enough to make them have endless money or anything.  Only because last night while they were shopping they mentioned "the sextuplets are now in school, so we have 10 that need supplies and we really need to watch the budget"..  also when they went for backpacks, they were telling the kids they could pick the style they wanted, but they had to cost no more than xxx. (they didn't give us the price). So they were most definitely watching what they spent and had a budget they couldn't go over.   I now even very well off people have a budget (or should) because it's not endless money, but you get my point.  It sounded like they had to watch.

I imagine the child with cerebral palsy probably costs a lot, medical wise. She's in a wheelchair 100% of the time, diapers, etc. Therapies, appointments, what have you.

Also the mom doesn't work, she's a SAHM. The dad is a cop.
    I enjoy the show!  I'm just glad I'm not them ;)  They are a LOT more real than the other big families on TV.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • I have never even heard of that show.  I think I would get stressed out just watching it though. LOL!
    I get honestly stressed at the vague idea of TWO children, much less watching 12!  I haven't seen it either, but I think it would send me into a full blown panic.

• Loading the player...
  • I haven't seen this show, but honestly the way large families work is taking a lot of choice and options away from their kids. I am not in any way saying this is a bad thing, just different.  It is also just a necessity that kids do as much for themselves as they can in large families. Also, not a bad thing, just different operating structure than a lot of smaller families.  

In other words, when you have to make 10 lunches they are all the same. Johnny isn't getting cheese and crackers, and Mary PB&J, and Susie Ham and Cheese. And honestly, the 12 and 10 year olds can be put into service making lunches after dinner for the next day. My Mom only had two kids and by 10 we were responsible for making our own breakfasts and lunches.

Certainly this family is a bit unique in the sets of multiples they have, so they have a lot of children the same age, but in most large families a lot of items are hand me downs, or purchased used to stretch the budget.

At a certain point I think probably around number 4, or 5 adding another doesn't really change how the family runs very much, just adds another name to the headcount. My BFF growing up was the second oldest of 9 and I hung out and went everywhere with her family. Adding me to the mix was no problem at all.

The major downsides (for the children) I saw with such a large family is the lack of one-on-one time with parents, not being seen and known by a parent individually very well, not being able to take part in activities (sports, music, camps etc.) outside of the family on a regular basis if at all,  and not having the financial support/help to get started in adult life.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"