C-sections
Options

Surprise C-Section and Breech Question

Hi All,

Question for you breech baby moms. I had a surprise, urgent but not emergency C-section last Monday at 37 weeks. Long story short, I had been having a really easy pregnancy - every time I went to my OB they said she was measuring on track (fundal height - my last ultrasound was at 20 weeks), and was head down. My OB practice has you rotate through all of the docs in the practice, so since about 32 weeks I was seeing a different doctor each week, but same story - everything looks great, on track for an on time, vaginal delivery. 

This past Monday I was done rotating and back to my original OB, who immediately thought that baby girl had flipped and was now breech. They hooked me up to the ultrasound and not only was she breech, she was measuring very small - so basically my normal doctors appt turned into me delivering via C-section that same afternoon. 

So now for my question - for those of you who had/have breech babies, when did you find out that they were breech? Same goes for IUGR moms - when and how were you diagnosed? The pediatrician is saying that based on her head and leg shape, she was probably breech for a lot longer than we thought/were told. What's done is done and the most important thing is that she's here and doing GREAT, but since all of this happened so suddenly I'm curious as to what others' experiences have been. Thanks for any insight!

Re: Surprise C-Section and Breech Question

• Options
    40  weeks! She was breech for awhile too. You could see where her head pressed against my ribs and her legs were off to the sides. Everything went where it was supposed over time though. Funny thing is I went in at 40 weeks because I woke up and could button my pants! Hadn't been able to do that since 20 weeks. She had pulled her legs way up.
  • Options
    I found out at 29 weeks my son was breech only because I had sudden unexplained bleeding and went to the hospital. I tried everything to flip him but he never did, went into labor at 36 weeks and had a c section.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

40  weeks! She was breech for awhile too. You could see where her head pressed against my ribs and her legs were off to the sides. Everything went where it was supposed over time though. Funny thing is I went in at 40 weeks because I woke up and could button my pants! Hadn't been able to do that since 20 weeks. She had pulled her legs way up.
    That's crazy! I think what I thought was her butt turned out to be her head all along :) 
  • Options
    DD was breech at 20 week u/s, but had flipped by 26 weeks. At 30 weeks, she was back to being breech. We delivered that night due to HELLP syndrome via emergency c-section.
  • Options
    That is what happened with our ob. at our weekly appointments that last month he would push on my side and say this is her bottom. It turned out to be her head.
  • Options
    DS was breech at the 20 w anatomy scan, and was breech at every ultrasound that followed..
    Love: 08/04/2006
    Marriage: 10/02/2010
      Computer Hope
    Baby Carriage: 
    BFP#1 : 03.2012........MMC + D&C : 05.2012
    BFP#2 : 11.12.2012..........Born 07.17.2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Buggy List blog
  • Options

I found out DS was breech at my 37 week appt.  My OB office does a routine growth US at 37 weeks.  He flipped breech the night before the US.  I actually watched him flip.  It was weird to see my stomach move like that.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    DD flipped somewhere between 28 and 32 weeks I believe?

Her head was up near my rib cage!
  • Options
    I found out at 30 weeks and she never flipped back, scheduled c-section was at 38w6d.

• Options

I found out DS was breech at my 37 week appt.  My OB office does a routine growth US at 37 weeks.  He flipped breech the night before the US.  I actually watched him flip.  It was weird to see my stomach move like that.

Thiis for me exactly, My ob does US every visit just quickly to see whats up. We have booked a c section but don't have it confirmed yet will see.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We found put that K was still head up 32 weeks or so and then every time we went in they checked and she was always head up so it was a given that I would have a cs.
  • Options
    My drs office also rotates (and it just so happened that my original dr was due the day after me, so she wasnt there the last month). DD was head down during every exam (last US was at 20 weeks).  At 38 weeks, my dr said she was feeling a little big, so we asked for an US.  It was scheduled for Friday.  Thursday I went into labor.  Still head down and ready to go.  When I was about 8 cm they broke my water and the dr said "her head is squishy".  I believe that's the medical term for "Your baby is breech".
  • Options

I pushed for a US starting at 36 weeks.  My OB would check and say that she felt a head down but then would feel her "butt" and say that it felt like a head also.  So at 37 weeks she agreed and surprise, we had a breech baby. 

D2 turned around 35 weeks and was head down, it took her about a week to do it totally and I could tell what she was doing, it was kind of cool.  I had a us at 36 weeks and it confirmed she was head down.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In labor at 37 weeks. Same as you, dr told me head down. DS was frank breech and came out with his legs "stuck" in the way he was in utero. That means he was like that for a while. Was really hard to accept having a c section, but life goes on.
    "Sweat is my sanity". Sarah Palin "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised". Proverbs 31:30 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I found out at my 36 week appointment that lo was breech
  • Options
    Found out he was breech at 36 weeks 3 days and I went into labor 2 days later. So I somewhat understand it being rushed and no time to prepare.
  • Options
    We thought DD was breech because of the pain I was having and OB told me we would do U/S at 37 weeks to check. He said they can flip anytime up to that point. I ended up going into labor at 35 weeks and they confirmed she was breech upon arrival at the hospital. She came out butt first :-)
  • Options
    I found out at 8cm that he was breech. We suspect that he had been breech for some time. I had a vaginal delivery that was (obviously) a last-minute decision. Next one will be a c-section out of necessity, as the delivery of my first left me a little messed up! I am shocked that the doctors were unaware of his position until after they'd started pictocin.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"