Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

How long does your baby stay awake?

Mine are 8 months old and it seems like 2.5 is the longest they can stay up. Well they will stay up longer but after that time frame, it's no fun. Very fussy.  Is that normal for this age?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker < br > image

Re: How long does your baby stay awake?

• Options
    Our LO was like that up until about 7 months.  Then he started staying awake for maybe 3-4 hours at a time.  Now at 8 1/2 months, he's staying up 5 hours or so at a time.  On days that he's at DC, he takes one long nap per day.  At home on the weekends, he'll take two smaller naps.  I thought for sure he'd be at least a year before transitioning to one nap a day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would say it's normal. DS is the same. He stays up for 2.5 to 3 hours before he needs sleep. He will be 8 months tomorrow.
    photo MeandBubs.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD varies a lot.  On a day when she's at home all day, she's typically up from 6:45ish until 8:30ish (so less than 2 hours), 10ish-1ish (3 hours), 2ish-4ish (2 hours), and 5ish-7pm (2 hours).

She is starting to transition out of 3 naps I think, because about half the time she skips that last little cat nap... On those days, she's typically awake from 2pm until bed time at 7pm.  

Daycare is a whole different ball game... some days she only sleeps 30 minutes total there.  She's a busybody and doesn't like to miss ANYTHING!
  • Options
    DD is 9 months, she stays up 2-3 hours before her first nap and 3-4 before the second nap, then 2 hours or less before bedtime
  • Options
    TheEditor said:
    Our LO was like that up until about 7 months.  Then he started staying awake for maybe 3-4 hours at a time.  Now at 8 1/2 months, he's staying up 5 hours or so at a time.  On days that he's at DC, he takes one long nap per day.  At home on the weekends, he'll take two smaller naps.  I thought for sure he'd be at least a year before transitioning to one nap a day!
    I'm so glad you said that! DS is only a little over 6 months old but for the last couple days he's gone 4 hours in between the morning nap and afternoon nap! I think he's trying to drop the third nap now, but the first time it happened it totally freaked me out because it was such a jump in wake time! I talked to my SIL who has 2 little guys and I consider her a sleep expert and she verified it was normal too but man was I spooked! :P

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    DD just dropped her third nap, so I am trying to keep her close to a 2-3-4 schedule (2 hours between wake-up and first nap, 3 hours between first nap and second nap, and 4 hours between last nap and bedtime). It varies a little though based on how long her naps are (usually between 1 and 2 hours now) and just in general how she's doing, but she's usually pretty close to that. She can go quite a while now though between naps and fortunately doesn't get real fussy as long as we are doing something. We took her to home depot, then a crazy long trip to Taco Bell cause they were way behind - like 45 minutes to get our food, then to the zoo today. She was up the entire time without fussing 11:40-4:30. I try really hard not to keep her up that long (she has enough trouble sleeping at night as it is), but she does great now when she is up longer. This just started though in the last 2-3 weeks. Before that she maxed out at 3 hours.
    I really like this 2-3-4 concept. Never heard of it before, but it seems to be what my guys naturally are doing.  I can't seem to get them down for a 3rd nap too often, but may need to make their bed time a little earlier because of it. Has anyone else had to do this? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker < br > image
  • Options
    It depends on the day. She will often fight a nap because she is just too interested in what is going on. I'm lucky if she gets two naps these days. Up until 3-4 weeks ago she still needed 3, then over night she dropped to 2, now either 1 long one, today was 2.5 hours, or 2 where one is shorter. Today she woke up about 8ish, napped from 11:20 to 1:40, then refused her second nap when I tried from 4 to 440. DS had soccer at 530 and I really wanted her to get another one in, but it didn't happen. She went to bed a little after 7, she might wake up around 8 and want to play some more, kind of like a late nap, but usually she's good.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    DD wakes up around 9am and stays up until right before 11am.  Then wakes up at about 12:30-1pm and stays awake until 6pm-7pm.  She takes about 1/2 hour nap and then is awake until bedtime around 10pm.  She sleeps through the night.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    Sounds normal to me, all babies are different. My almost 7 month old usually can't stay awake much more than 3 hours without getting cranky.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog
  • Options
    DD has been only staying up about 2-2.5 hours lately. She used to stay up more but she was terrible at napping, now I just have to start rocking her about 2 hours after she woke up and she's far less grumpy!
  • Options
    ugh, at home she can barely make it past an hour or two, but at daycare she can do 3.  I can't wait until it's longer.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD just dropped her third nap, so I am trying to keep her close to a 2-3-4 schedule (2 hours between wake-up and first nap, 3 hours between first nap and second nap, and 4 hours between last nap and bedtime). It varies a little though based on how long her naps are (usually between 1 and 2 hours now) and just in general how she's doing, but she's usually pretty close to that.
    This is what we do as well. Our LO is just over 8 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"