Secondary IF
Options

Helpful advice on TTC baby #2 **added clomid question*

edited August 2013 in Secondary IF
Trying to conceive baby #2 for a year now. Finally diagnosed at the end of last year With endometriosis, after getting a second opinion. I'm only 23 and no one believed I could have it. Stopped having periods at the first of the year. Surgery in March 2013 found both tubes were completely shut off. Back to trying after surgery with no such luck, even to the point Im now showing signs of PCOS with good sized cyst on each ovary now. Not even sure I'm ovulating. Currently on Pregnitude twice a day and 3 fertility blend pills a day. Advice on upping my chances or success stories on these medications?? Love my son and his 2nd birthday is approaching. Has me itching to experience this blessing again! Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Helpful advice on TTC baby #2 **added clomid question*

• Options
    I did not graduate from med school. But, being as you are still young....

Well first - how long have u been trying post-surgery?

I think you are on the right track with the supplements. Go natural at first before seeking more invasive and costly treatments.

My friend (MJC116) is doing acupuncture and swears it straightened up her cycles.

Also I would give the supplements at least 3 months to kick in.

I recommend the book "Marking Babies: a 3 month plan" it takes an alternative medicine approach. I'm not saying it's a magic bullet, but it's worth a read. You might be able to "borrow" from it.

Do you use OPKs or chart? I have heard (but not read) Taking charge of your fertility" is the charting bible.

I don't have any success stories for you. My husband has male factor IF and is taking all the Fertilaid for men products and is getting ready to see an accupuncturist. So far that's our current game plan.

I'm sorry, I don't feel I've helped you much.

Me: 27 DH: 33
    Married 6 years
    Conceived DS after 4 years of MFI

TTC # 2 (not trying,not preventing ever)
    May 2013 - August 2013 Timed Intercourse = BFN
    September 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs=BFN
    October 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs, and "warming foods" = BFP
    Beta #1 19, Beta #2 18 Progesterone 4.6 Miscarried 11/9/13
    November 2013 - Benched, waiting for first post-loss AF.
    No longer benched per New RE/OB!
    Jan. 15 2014 - BFP. HCG 3900 - Ectopic :( 
    Jan. 16 2014 Left tube removed and D&C
    March 2, 2014 First AF

• Options
    I had been trying since last August when I was still having a period, and started again six weeks past (March 26) surgery. Also taking Pregnitude since then, just started taking the Fertilitly blend two weeks ago.

Little back story, battled with my cycle my who life. Started cycle at 8 years old, took 3 years of trying to conceive son off one open tube that wasn't clogged with the endo.

I have been charting my temp, using Fertilitly friend app and using Clearblue ovulation kit. So far this month, 14 days past cycle no signs of ovulating. Post surgery cycles are either 24 days or 31 days apart.
    My OB prefers all available routes prior to offering clomid or anything else. Also at her request, while we aren't sure if my husband has any fertility issues, she wanted him on Saw Palemetto and DHEA pills.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    what is saw palmetto and dhea pills. Could you educate me?

Married 6 years

October 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs, and "warming foods" = BFP
    March 2, 2014 First AF

• Options
    My OB said the Saw Palmetto and DHEA were to promote not only Prostate health, but also healthy sperm and male reproductive functions. We purchased both at GNC where I also buy my Fertility Blend
  • Options

**** ALSO ANOTHER QUESTION< meant to ask earlier... too much to write at once!

My OB is very leery against putting me on Clomid, going as far as saying that I will "hate her in ten years" when I had cancer, but turned around and in the same visit said we would talk about it in October. Which made me nervous about it. Are the health risk worth the dose?

• Options
    My OB handed me 3 months of clomid without a second thought. He doubled the dose each failed cycle.

I think it can be used to straighten/regulate cycles in women who even if they do ovulate. I think your OB is just being cautious (which is good) and I'm sure there are horror stories out there but, in my personal opinion it is not a death & doom drug. I wouldn't be afraid to explore that option in October.

Best of luck - oh and thanks! I'm going to head to GNC for that other stuff you mentioned for DH.

Married 6 years

March 2, 2014 First AF

• Options
    Hi there! I think it was mentioned in another post, but I would definitely read up on this, specifically Taking Charge of Your Fertility and The Infertility Cure. Both can give you advice on how to jump start your periods. I think the most important thing here (and like KC said, I'm no doctor!) is to get your periods going. It's good that you are charting and using an OPK because that will help. 

I think it would be a good idea to start seeing an RE who can test you for these things to confirm that you have pcos. If you want to continue trying naturally, I highly recommend acupuncture. I swear it's the reason why I went from ovulating on cd 20 (in a 28 day cycle) to day 14. I was so excited the first time it happened, I took a picture of my CBEFM and texted it to my husband! I swore it was some random glitch in my cycle but it has since continued.

Of course, do whatever is comfortable for you, but if I were in your shoes, I'd want concrete answers first before I started Clomid or any other medication. I would get tested first and have my RE map out several different plans to help me get pregnant. :)

I hope that helps! Best of luck to you!
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

***WARNING Stay away from SAW PALEMETTO!! Sorry this may be TMI and completely contradictory from my previous post, but my husband has been taking the Saw Palemetto since August 9, last night he was having a hard time preforming. He is a very young 24 year old with a crazy high sex drive so this is nothing we have ever experienced, to the point he even said it hurt. Looked up the side effects of the Saw Palemetto and one is "impotence" (erectile disfunction)!! absolutely uncontrollable. Kind of ironic considering we are trying to use it for the opposite cause. He said no more, and just sticking to the DHEA now! Talking to the Dr, I guess since he didn't need that due to his body being younger and healthy it was having a counter active side effect on him.

Also, my Dr. mentioned about the Clomid, since I have endometriosis (that I struggled for too long to be diagnosed with knowing something wasn't right with my body) I will be effected more so by the bad side effects than most. Maybe why she is wanting to put off offering it. With as many problems as I have had in my short 23 years, I'm not quiet ready to jump into Clomid due to the side effects and the fact that I was able, with time and a lot of prayers, to conceive my son. But def searching for other options.

Thank you for mentioning the book. I purchased the ebook yesterday! going to dig into it today. Ended up buying two books and read most of the first one yesterday.

What and how exactly does the acupuncture work to change the days you ovulate? on 15days past cycle today and still not showing a positive OV test, but wondering if I will later on so continuing testing, although my chart is looking like I may have had the temperature dip two days ago.

I believe that in October I will opt in to the referral for an RE. I'm not sure why I have put it off, maybe feeling it would be too costly? Anyone know the cost of and RE compared to that of an OB with insurance? I also have just been worn out and discouraged on the number of Dr. appts I've had since last year, part of me just didn't want any more, but now I'm feeling excited to go and hopefully find the answers we have been seeking.

So happy I found my way back to 'the bump', in just reading the forums, a few books and endless articles, I already feel that I have more knowledge and control of the situations and a much better understanding of my own body. I know the time may be coming that I may yet again be visited by Aunt flo and get that sad pit in my stomach knowing another month has passed without conception, but holding on to the hope I still have.

Never letting a day go by without enjoying our wonderful son, but my love for him and seeing him grow has me itching for our next blessing. Thank you all for the advice so far, you have made this gal feel so much better about this journey. Looking forward to all advice still to come :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"