Food & Nutrition
Options

sugar

Okay. Someone tell me about sugar vs stevia vs "in the raw".

I am starting a cleaner diet and artificial sweetners have got to go but what sugar is considered "clean"?

Re: sugar

• Options
    bnikbnik member
    I like to use honey to sweeten things. I don't use tgr stevia or truvia stuff . But please don't be like a few people I know who think "because its brown its better" so they add brown sugar to everything. Brown sugar is brown cause if the molasses ..
    Sugar in the raw though I don't know too much about
  • Options
    We use local raw organic honey, and sometimes when I bake, I use organic pure maple syrup. Even those can be bad though, if used too much.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes...I have been using honey but not quite ready to completely cut out sugar. I am baking some in an effort to stop buying processed sweets etc. I feel like white sugar is the lesser evil compared to all the chemicals used to extend shelf life...

Anyway thoughts on baking? And substitutions?
  • Options
    We use local raw organic honey, and sometimes when I bake, I use organic pure maple syrup. Even those can be bad though, if used too much.

This.

Also, I've read that agave and stevia (both supposedly "healthy" sweeteners aren't good for you). Stevia because it's low calorie and tricks your brain, causing insulin spikes. And agave because it's highly processed and contains more fructose than high fructose corn syrup.

1 miracle Earth baby and 5 Angel babies

~All welcome~

• Options
    I still cook with honey and sugar when I need to.  I find that I can typically cut the sugar in half from any recipe without noticing a difference.  Maybe start there?  Also get creative.  I've found that fruit can replace some processed sweeteners.  For example instead of buying yogurt with sugar, get plain yogurt and mash up a ripe banana.  Use apple sauce in place of jelly for a peanut butter sandwich.  Put raisins and cranberries in your oatmeal instead of brown sugar.  
  • Options
    I use sucanat, raw honey and maple syrup.
  • Options
    Evaporated cane juice, honey, molasses I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"