FAQ re-do Q9 — The Bump
Adoption

FAQ re-do Q9

What are the requirements or restrictions for adoption? For example, how could my/our age, mental heath history, or criminal background impact our ability to adopt?

Re: FAQ re-do Q9

• This will depend on the route you take

For domestic adoption, some agencies have age limits (upper and lower), and some require you to be married a certain amount of time (if you are married) in order to adopt.
    As far as mental health history, as long as you can show you have been successfully treated and/or your condition is under control, this should not be an impediment
    Criminal background can be trickier
    Best bet is to contact who you want to work with, and ask them about their restrictions and any issues that could come up. That way everyone will know ahead of time so there are no surprises

For international adoption, there are often more stringent age and marriage limits. Once you choose a country, talk to the agency you want to work with to see what those limits are. Due to cultural norms, physical and mental health issues (even if treated) can prevent you from adopting. Again, this is something to discuss upfront so there are no surprises.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

• Our agency has approved prospective adoptive parents with misdemeanors, (controlled) mental illness, past substance abuse, and past bankruptcies.  I'm told honesty is very important, so it's best not to go into it trying to hide things.
    My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

15 treatment cycles: four early m/c
    Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

Home study approved 5/13, now just waiting...

• Oh and our agency has lots of over-50 PAPs.  
    My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

15 treatment cycles: four early m/c
    Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

Home study approved 5/13, now just waiting...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards