June 2012 Moms
Options

S/O of Halloween

Okay so even as a kid I didn't like Halloween. I only went out about 3 times total. It just never interested me.

Of course, this leaves me with a "what the heck do I do with DS?" Question. Are you ladies planning on taking your LOs out? If yes, what's the point [and mean that respectfully]? What I mean is, is the point to get candy? DS has never had candy and surely won't be eating it in a couple of months.

So I don't really understand what you'd do for Halloween at this age. I was thinking I wouldn't bring him out until he's 3, at least. Or is that bordering on Mean Mama territory?

What are you ladies planning on doing?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: S/O of Halloween

• Options
    I was going to take her to like the neighbors house and then a local parade where she can walk in it.
  • Options
    We took DS out last year with his older cousin. H carried him up to our neighbors' doors. Mostly so they could see him in his costume. He ended up with some candy in his pumpkin but it was only from people we knew.

After we went to our neighbors, we just walked with DS's cousin while she went to other houses. It was still fun and I liked showing off my cute baby in his costume. :)

So we're definitely going out again this year. DS will be able to walk up to doors and hold his pumpkin so it will be more like real trick or treating. The point for us is just to have DS wear a cute costume and have a fun experience. The candy doesn't really matter.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think you're being mean. We're probably not going to do anything this year (again) unless I find out about something toddler-friendly going on at our church or in the neighborhood. I would love to make him a cute costume, but I don't see the point yet for us.

• Options
    Last year, we went to a block party. Earlier in the evening, it's real family friendly. There's food, music, and lots of costumes, but there's almost no candy. It's a good time.

We don't live in Honolulu any longer, but I imagine most cities have some sort of family party. I might bring her trick or treating for a little bit. I think she would get a kick out of it. She's real social and loves to interact with new people. Plus, there's nothing as easy as taking candy from a baby. Bwhahaha

Of course, it's a possibility that we'll just hand out candy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We probably won't do house to house until they're older too. We usually visit the grandparents and then go to a party at our friend's house.
    We might do the trick or treat street at the high school too. They have little activities for the kids. It's really just about the experience and doing something different, not the candy.

image   image

• Options
    DH's grandma lives right in town so we will dress up DS and hand out candy. We may go to a few houses of relatives or friends but not door to door.

Halloween is my favorite holliday. My mom used to take us to dinner on main street in between the trick or treating age and the party age. We'd have dinner and then rent scary movies. Normally, we each had a friend over for the night too. At 9pm the local radio station would tell scary stories. We'd light candles and sit there in the dark and listen.

Our LOs are too young for that yet obviously. I don't like the hype of candy hollidays but there are other ways to enjoy them.
  • Options
    Gismo123Gismo123 member
    edited August 2013

We were not going to go out last year, but some friends of DH invited us to go trick or treating with them, so we went. We only did a few houses before saying our good-byes and coming back home. We'll probably do it again this year. Mostly it's just for fun, seeing DD in a cute costume like a PP said, and just hanging out with friends. The candies will be for me. :D

LoL this is us too. We took ds out last year just around 2 blocks and then home. This year we finally have our own house so we are going to deck it all out and pass out candy but I will also take ds out around our small 3 block neighborehood. And of course ds will share his candy with mama ;)

We are going to do a Friday the 13th theme hehe

• Options
    DH and I love Halloween, so we always go all out. We used DS as our candy beard last year and will again this year. We also like to go to various Fall festivals, the corn maze, pumpkin carving events, and King Richard's Faire. We are big fans of celebrating the crap out of whatever holiday it currently is.
  • Options
    We took DS out last year with his older cousin. H carried him up to our neighbors' doors. Mostly so they could see him in his costume. He ended up with some candy in his pumpkin but it was only from people we knew. After we went to our neighbors, we just walked with DS's cousin while she went to other houses. It was still fun and I liked showing off my cute baby in his costume. :) So we're definitely going out again this year. DS will be able to walk up to doors and hold his pumpkin so it will be more like real trick or treating. The point for us is just to have DS wear a cute costume and have a fun experience. The candy doesn't really matter.
    That's how I feel :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We'll probably do what we did last year - take DS in costume to our parents' houses for pictures and maybe some little treats now that he's old enough to eat some. My stepson is pretty much past Halloween (he'll be 14 and a high school freshman) so I think it will still be pretty low key.
  • Options
    We don't celebrate Halloween for religious reasons/personal conviction but we do dress up/ fall parties :)
  • Options
    I love halloween! Of course I'm probably a little biased since it's also my birthday. Having a 7yo(and sometimes 10yo) we go out trick-or-treating. We will dress both LOs up this year and whatever little candy they get will be mommy and daddys. Of course, we're kinda strict with the older kids sweet intake so believe it or not we still have candy left over from last year. It's all hard candy left but it definitely needs to be thrown out. Our rule is 1 unhealthy snack a day and if they misbehave to a certain degree they have to substitute a healthy one instead. Has kinda helped in the misbehaving because they really want a treat!
                           SD(13) DS(10) DS(4) DS(3)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    We took DS out last year with his older cousin. H carried him up to our neighbors' doors. Mostly so they could see him in his costume. He ended up with some candy in his pumpkin but it was only from people we knew. After we went to our neighbors, we just walked with DS's cousin while she went to other houses. It was still fun and I liked showing off my cute baby in his costume. :) This is what we did last year and will do again this year. So we're definitely going out again this year. DS will be able to walk up to doors and hold his pumpkin so it will be more like real trick or treating. The point for us is just to have DS wear a cute costume and have a fun experience. The candy doesn't really matter.

We took DS out last year with his older cousin. H carried him up to our neighbors' doors. Mostly so they could see him in his costume. He ended up with some candy in his pumpkin but it was only from people we knew. After we went to our neighbors, we just walked with DS's cousin while she went to other houses. It was still fun and I liked showing off my cute baby in his costume. :) So we're definitely going out again this year. DS will be able to walk up to doors and hold his pumpkin so it will be more like real trick or treating. The point for us is just to have DS wear a cute costume and have a fun experience. The candy doesn't really matter.

• Options
    I will probably stay home this year and have Jack help me hand out candy to the neighborhood kids and take him out next year. But I will probably dress him up anyway! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Last year we took Keels out with her older cousins to see family & then we went to some houses but we gave all her candy to her older sister that wasn't able to go with us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"