Adoption
Options

New Blog Post: Why international adoption is amazing, but not the ultimate answer

Would love to share my latest blog post! I am learning so much on this journey!
Jackie (26) & Josiah (28) married December 27, 2009
TTC #1 since August 2011
BFP #1 3/27/12, EDD 12/9/12, Natural miscarriage at 5w2d on 4/7/12
Diagnosed with PCOS 7/1/13
Pursuing adoption from Ethiopia 7/2013-currently on the wait list! 
BFP #2 9/16/13, EDD 5/28/14 Beta #1: 363, Beta #2:876, @ 7w1d Heartbeat:147
Team Pink!

Re: New Blog Post: Why international adoption is amazing, but not the ultimate answer

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I've read a good portion of There Is No Me Without You, and I chose to adopt because my husband and I wanted children and to share our blessings with children who might not otherwise get similar chances. That being said, I get a bit cautious when I see adoption suggested as an answer--ultimate or not--to the world's poverty and overpopulation problems. Mostly because it casts out a broad net for prospective adoptive parents, often without properly preparing them for the difficulties that often come with adoption. I have seen so many families get into situations they cannot handle because they didn't realistically consider their abilities prior to adoption. I, personally, had read a ton and thought I was completely prepared and made a thousand decisions to limit our risk, and found that our situation is much more involved and intense than I could have imagined. I used to not understand why families wouldn't consider adoption, but now I am the first to declare that adoption is it for everyone. People should be called to it within themselves, without urging from others. I know your blog post was about YOUR reasons to adopt, and that's beautiful, but I felt the need to point out my hesitation at the encouragement of others to choose the same path. It's an intensely personal decision that I believe should be made based on each family's desires and capabilities, and nothing else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"