Baby Showers
Options

ideas for an open house style shower

anyone familiar with this?  If you are or have been to an open house style shower, give me some ideas please & thank you!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ideas for an open house style shower

• Options
    I haven't and personally it sounds like a bad idea unless you designate a time for presents to be opened.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    To me it says we don't have anything planned other than you come by and drop off a gift.

This.  I get it that you're trying to go for a casual, laid back feel, but.... showers are showers.  Especially "older folk" - they will absolutely expect a gift opening, and many people actually enjoy that part of it.  If you're trying to avoid doing that, it won't go over well.  Or if you have one but not everyone is there - when they do show up, they may be upset to find out they missed it.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Definitely have a time for gift opening..please have gifts wrapped...then maybe do a backyard bbq type thing and have some optional games kind of like another thread suggested with cornhole or other lawn games. It will be more laid back and I would imagine for close family and friends not for the church ladies...
    imageimageimage
    Funny Anniversary Ecard: I love being married to my best friend. I can tell him anything because half the time he doesn't hear me.
    TTC Sine June 2013
    BFP #1 August 6, 2013  MC August 10, 2013
    Started temping January 2014
  • Options
    MGPMGP member
    Lurker coming out. . . 

Please do not do this.  I went to an "open house" bridal shower before.  It was from 2:00 - 5:00 - prime hours for the hosts not to have to provide a full meal.  There was a bowl of punch and (literally) two teacups of nuts and candy.  Oh and did I also mention there were 8 hosts?  The bride also requested unwrapped gifts and we had to set them on rented folding tables to be "displayed".  She also couldn't bother to come and see what people brought as they arrived.  There was no food hence no meal time, no gift unwrapping time, and no games.  One of the few times I would have looked forward to a game!  :)  It was one of the worst showers I have ever been to.

I trust that you wouldn't commit all of the faux pas listed above, just wanted to share my experience.  Just set a time and if people can make it they will make it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input!  We are looking at doing something where the baby would have a place to sleep, and people could come and go as they pleased!  You guys gave me some great things to think about!  Thanks!
  • Options
    Ahhh...A Meet the baby Party, I like it!  and no i'm hosting for a friend!  That sounds fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"