Secondary IF
Options

low AMH OMG... and intro

Hi ladies,
I am sorry we all are here.  I am 31 years old and blessed with a beautiful 21 month old daughter.  I tried for 6 month with her, went to my OB who gave me 50 mg clomid and I conceived her.  Fast forward to when she was 6 months we started TTC 2 while breastfeeding.  I had normal periods and such.  No success except for a couple Chemical pregnancies.  So I quit breastfeeding and went to a fertility dr because I am impatient.  Glad I did.  They first did the US and I look  good in there.  Even my ovaries looked good with lots of follicular activity.  Then they tested my AMH and and it came back at .33  which is bad like very bad so.....shit.  They seem to think IUI is worth a shot and honestly, our insurance does not cover IVF so I think that is not an option.  I can't believe I am typing this I am so sad and devastated.  My doc is out of town so I can't talk to him yet but the other dr said we should move froward with Femara and IUI this cycle.  I felel like I am scared we don't have a good chance with my AMH level and I am scared to go through this emotional process and steal time away from my daughter if my chances of success are low.  Any one have any experience with this?  Is it a good sign that I have good follicles on CD11 even though I have low AMH?  Any help is appreciated.   I also posted this in Success after infetility but they suggested I post here.  Not sure where I belong.  Thanks.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: low AMH OMG... and intro

• Options
    Hi and welcome! I'm sorry you've had to deal with all of this. I was very disappointed when I had my hormone levels tested back in August of last year. Unlike you, I had a higher FSH and only 11 follicles with my AFC. It was pretty grim.

I spent about 8 months coming to peace with my diagnosis, working with my acupuncturist and talked a lot with DH about our plan. Earlier this year, he was in Asia for 3 weeks, so since I knew I had no chance of conceiving, I had my levels checked again. This time, everything came back normal! A much better diagnosis. We decided to move forward with a medicated IUI. I had my second IUI last Friday and am now in the TWW.

I tell you all of this because, like you, I was devastated by my test results. I spent a lot of time dwelling on it, and it affected a lot of my daily life. I felt like that time in my life was spent living under a dark cloud. Turns out, it was only one measure of my fertility. I think it would be a good idea to spend some time talking it out and maybe even setting a date to get re-tested, even if you go the Femara/IUI route this cycle. 

The best advice I could give is to not feel pressured into doing anything. If you feel rushed this cycle, wait until the next. And I would highly recommend (I feel like I say this to everybody :) )reading the book "Inconceivable" by Julia Indichova. She had a low AMH (but I think with a high FSH) and she was able to successfully and naturally conceive and give birth to a healthy baby. The good news is you have a lot of follicles, and I think that's a good sign. I think if you had few to none, it would be an indication that perhaps IVF would be better. And I totally get where you're coming from -- insurance won't cover IVF for us either so financially it's overwhelming to think about.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide!
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you have plenty of follies (I.e.a high afc) then I don't think the amh really matters much. I concieved my ds with 0.5, an fsh of 13 and an afc of 8. Now my afc is 4-5 & amh undetectable and still the two RE'S I have been to are very positive.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just wanted to say welcome to the 2IF board, and that this is probably a good place for you.  Everyone here already has had at least one child and is trying for more. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

DD conceived after 3 years of ttc.
    MFI - DH had varicocele repair and took Clomid to get DD b. 02/2010

TTC #2 since 6/2010
    10/2012 DH diagnosed with Epilepsy
    A few failed IUIs summer 2012 and 2013. 
    DH taking clomid and waiting to see if he needs another vericocele repair. 
    Hoping for a 2015 baby or babies. 
    Wishing, hoping, waiting.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"