Health & Exercise
Options

Maintaining weight during the next 3 months of pregnancy

MytarasMytaras member
edited August 2013 in Health & Exercise
Hello! I just saw my OB and they said I should try ad maintain or only gain 5-10 more pounds throughout my pregnancy. This seems impossible. I was 150 pre pregnancy and am now 26w and gained 22 pounds. He said I shouldn't gain more that 30. How am I suppose to slow this down? Any advice is appreciated. I'm a lot hungrier than I was pre pregnancy. Thank you!

Re: Maintaining weight during the next 3 months of pregnancy

• Options
    I would just be very aware of how much you're eating of WHAT. It's important to be snacking on and making meals of healthful food. Take advantage of every item you add to a meal and make sure it doesn't contain things you don't need (i.e. avoid cooking with too much oil, decrease the number of bites you take between meals that aren't intentional snacks, etc.). You should definitely be eating when you're hungry, just be sure you're eating all good stuff! Adding walks or other exercise will help you in terms of energy overall throughout your pregnancy, and it's also an easy way to compensate for consuming more than you may need for you and baby.

I wouldn't be too stressed about the scale as long as you're gaining within the recommended amount. If your OB is very concerned, he/she should give you a nutritional strategy to help you. Be sure to ask for one next time the topic comes up if it's an issue. Otherwise, try not to stress about it and just do the best you can. Stay well!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Water helps too!! Make sure you're hydrated so you don't confuse thirst with hunger. I find that drinking a glass of water or chewing gum helps me feel less hungry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic               
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Keep a food diary - you'll automatically not eat as much if you commit to writing it all down.  Stay hydrated - if you're not working out already start going on walks everyday.  When you're hungry snack on fresh fruits and vegetables instead of chips, pretzels, or cookies.  Limit sweets, but don't drive yourself too nuts.  Most women gain more than 30 pounds while pregnant and have healthy babies.
  • Options
    I wouldn't stress about it.  No matter how much you gain, it will all come off.  I gained way more than I should have due to so much water retention and my baby was healthy.
  • Options
    I wouldn't stress - it will come off. And I think you will be fine anyway, most people don't gain in the last month and even lose a few pounds. So given 1 pound per week between now and 36 weeks, that will be 10 lbs (32 total) and perfectly healthy
  • Options
    Thank you for all your responses! It has helped me a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"