Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Child proofing

Has anyone here not needed to childproof their house bc their LO listens and is well behaved about not getting into things? My mil claims that child proofing is unnecessary and we should just tell our LO no when they touch things that can hurt him.

Re: Child proofing

• Options

I am totally starting to childproof everything. NOW, with my DD I never had to child proof because she did listen when I would say no and she was not into touching EVERYTHING.

However,  with my DS...HE IS INTO EVERYTHING!! He opens doors, drawers, climbs, pulls EVERYTHING. I picked up a kit and have them placed on door knobs, electrical outlets and DH will drill in the ones for the drawers. I still have to buy something for the toilet lids.

I do think that as parents it is our responisbility to teach them what is allowed and what isn't but remember THEY are babies and supposed to explore. So I am baby proofing to help ensure his safety and do not feel i am failing or anything by taking that step.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Your MIL can have LO visit and let you know how well that "no childproofing" works out.  :)  

While we aren't ultra-childproofed, I feel much better having a gate on stairs, the outlets covered, and the hazardous chemicals in a child-proofed cabinet.  I'm able to get dinner on the stove or let DD explore a bit without supervision literally every second. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    aeh72aeh72 member
    edited August 2013

I just said to my husband last night that DS thinks the word "dangerous" is hysterical.  As soon as I say that to him when he's about to touch something that actually could be dangerous (and I say it sternly) - e.g., an outlet, the stove, a lamp cord (all baby proofed or, with the cords, tucked away as best we could) he gets this big grin on his face and proceeds to try and touch it anyway.  So, no, I don't think children automatically will not touch something if you tell them not to, and I don't think it has anything to do with how good of a disciplinarian you are. Toddlers are curious and they like to test boundaries.  How much and what you babyproof depends on your child's temperment and the set up of your home, but I'm not willing to take a chance so we've done a pretty good job babyproofing - and we STILL have to watch DS pretty closely because he will find the one thing we haven't baby proofed and, hopefully, will not hurt himself, but could cause some damage or at least a big ole' mess that I don't want to have to clean up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We haven't child proofed many things. The only thing we have done is close off the medicine and cleaning cabinets. Beyond that I felt as though it was unnecessary. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    To some extent, maybe, but if you fail to secure your TV, a bookshelf, knives or other dangerous objects you would be at fault for any injuries or worse. Make sure all shelves and dressers are secured to the wall (they can open the bottom drawer, step on it and knock a dresser over very easily) and make sure the TV is either wall mounted or secured to the wall. That has nothing to do with a baby being curious or not, it's just your responsibility as a parent.

• Options
    I think what you need to baby proof really depends on your LO.  We simply have outlet covers and the cleaner cabinet locked. Bathroom door stays shut and gates to keep her out of non-baby proofed areas.  All of my other cabinets we have not bothered with.  Our DD loves to look in the cabinets but we sing the clean up song and she will put anything she took out back in!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"