Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Crib in your room?

We're trying to plan for baby #2, and I'm curious to hear from people who kept their LOs in your room (master bedroom) through 6 months or older. Did it make BF easier? Were you able to watch quiet TV, get ready for work, etc without waking the baby? Did you use a crib, bassinet, RNP, or PNP?

Re: Crib in your room?

• Options
    We kept our girls in our room for 6 months each. DD1 was in the PNP, DD2 in the RNP right next to my side of the bed. I couldn't BF, so I can't say if it makes that easier, but I loved having them close at night when they were tiny. I learned pretty quick which whimpers/cries to respond to and which I could just reach over and pat/shhh them through and fall back asleep. 

We don't watch TV in our room, so that wasn't an issue for us. We both like to read a bit in bed, but just did that in a different room until the baby moved to the nursery. Getting ready for work wasn't an issue for me as I'm a SAHM, and DH always lays out what he needs the night before to try to avoid disturbing the whole house, so that wasn't a problem for him, either.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    #1 was. In a bassinet for about almost two months, then in her own room in a crib. Hopefully we can do the same with #2. I didn't mind getting up all the time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Dd was in our room in an rnp until she was 4 months. At that time she could roll over both ways so I felt more comfortable putting her in her crib. She was also sleeping through the night. I was unable to bf so not sure about that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We had our LO in our room until he was 9 months and our lease was up. Honestly it was fine until about 5 months. He was never a great sleeper and sleep training was near impossible because as soon as he could see or hear us he would scream if he woke up in the night. DH and I ended up sleeping in the living room for a month while we sleep trained him.He would also wake up if we read or talked too much. I was so excited to move and have LO get his own room! Sorry for the negative side of it, but something to think about and hopefully you will have a much better sleeper :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    DS is still in our room. He usually gets up for the morning about the same time as DH, so getting ready in the morning isn't an issue. On the occassions where DS sleeps in, DH can come and go from the bedroom quietly without waking either of us. I usually need to nurse him one more time before I go to bed anyway, so he'll wake up when I come into the bedroom and a quick nursing session knocks him right back out. I then frequently read in bed on a tablet, so I just turn the brightness all the way down. We don't have a TV in the bedroom, but I will sometimes watch a short video on the iPad with the sound really low, and that doesn't wake him.

Breastfeeding is way easier. I'm lazy and getting up in the middle of the night is not something I'm going to do if I can avoid it. We have our mattress on the floor with DS's crib mattress on the floor next to it. If he wakes up and wants to nurse, we roll over, get it done, and go back to sleep. He'll finally get his own room when we finish renovations and move into our new house, but we'll probably just do naps there for a while. We're getting a little tired of the bed on the floor thing too, so we may look into sidecarring a crib, or we may night wean and try to get him to sleep in his room at night too. The other thing we've considered is getting him a twin mattress so I can join him if he wakes up, meaning I would only have to get up once. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS was in our room for the first 6 months and it was AWFUL. He was a terrible sleeper anyway, but I think I got less sleep because I could hear him moving around before he woke for a feeding. If we have another LO, we won't have him/her in our room past the first month or so. It was convenient for nursing though, and it allowed our DD to sleep uninterrupted by his night wakings, but for DH and I it sucked big time.

I realize that I'm probably in the minority in this. A lot of people have great success in keeping their LOs in their room, and more power to them. It was just a bad experience for us, and not something I would want to repeat with another child.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

DS was in our room for the first 6 months and it was AWFUL. He was a terrible sleeper anyway, but I think I got less sleep because I could hear him moving around before he woke for a feeding. If we have another LO, we won't have him/her in our room past the first month or so. It was convenient for nursing though, and it allowed our DD to sleep uninterrupted by his night wakings, but for DH and I it sucked big time.

I realize that I'm probably in the minority in this. A lot of people have great success in keeping their LOs in their room, and more power to them. It was just a bad experience for us, and not something I would want to repeat with another child.
    I forgot about that! DS was a very noisy sleeper, and that drove me nuts.

Thanks for all the input ladies! I think we've figured out how to fit our guest bed into the next nursery, so that should solve the dilemma for us...if and when we get to that bridge.

• Options
    We kept DS in our room through 6 months and plan to do the same for our 2nd. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Options
    We kept our baby girl in our room until 6 months.  She was cluster feeding from 4-6 months so it made life much easier!  We had a bassinet and we could still watch tv and get ready for the day etc.  When we transitioned her to her crib, she cried for 5 minutes the first two nights but that was it. It was a much easier transition then I thought it would be :)  Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

We used the Snugabunny Rock n Play for my daughter.  It is perfect for keeping the baby on the back.   We did put her in the crib on her back when she was a couple of months old, and then it was a cold turkey transition for our son to move to his toddler bed. 

When my daughter started to roll over, it is like she would roll over and sleep on her face.  So it was easier to only put her in the Rock n Play at night for a couple of months.  And it was a little difficult to transition my daughter to the crib, but we finally got her over to the crib.  She likes to sleep on her stomach a lot now in the crib.  But it is so much better once you get past 1 years old. 

We actually have a double bed in our second room that I sleep on, and there is enough room for a toddler bed and a crib. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options
    I did not BF but LO stayed in our Master Bedroom...Well I should probably say she is STILL in there:( My BEST advice is put LO in their own room from Day 1.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"