Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Missing preschool?

DH and I had a "disagreement" last night about taking DD1 out of school for a day or a couple of days. 

I believe that even though it isn't kindergarten, it's preschool and she would be missing academics.  Add to that that it would only be a week or two after school starts, and she tends to not do so well during those transition periods (transitioning from school to camp, and visa versa), and I'm thinking it just wouldn't be a good idea.  (We can forget for the time being that we pay for this time and don't get our money back if we keep her home for whatever reason). DH seems to think that it's just pre-k, and she's not missing much and it shouldn't be a big deal at all. 

Am I nuts, what are your thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Missing preschool?

• Options
    We just went thru this argument about DD1. I allowed her to spend the night on a Sunday at a friends house (SAHM) and I picked her up after work Monday. She will not suffer missing one day or even a few days of school. If you are concerned, you can review the lesson plans and reinforce at home.

FWIW- Each kid was out of school for 1 wk in July due to Pink Eye. They adjusted well returning to class and picked right back up on the lesson plan.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's really not a big deal! While I don't like to take my kids out of school, at this age they do not miss anything! This is the best time to do it ; )

My oldest missed two full weeks a month and a half into preschool, and did not miss a beat (surgery).

In our preschool they do not change the curriculum day to day but more like a week or two on each letter, so they won't get behind. Plus it is not academics, it is more social.

We chose to let our kids skip school a day in the spring due to out of state family (1st and preschool) and they had no issues.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    One week after school starts I would not sure to transition concerns. But the rest of the time I think it is fine. Once kindergarten starts I would not do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We do not plan to do it on a regular basis, but he will miss a week for a Disney vacation next month.  The trip was planned before decided to place him at a real preschool not just a daycare with some education in the morning.  He knows his #s from 1-20 and knows 1-10 by sight, most colors (all primary ones), and letters A-D.  So I figure we might have to work on 1 letter while we are gone.  So I plan to make it a game at disney - Find the "E". 

• Options
    DS missed a week of preschool in May for vacation. He was fine. Not something I would do once he starts K but I think at the preschool stage, it's ok.
  • Options
    I am a teacher, so take this how you will.  But I think part of preschool is laying the foundation for the value they will place on school in future years.  Taking them out of school for no reason or no good reason is like saying, "School is optional, it's OK to skip school sometimes."  Please understand, I'm not saying it would turn a kid into a high school drop-out or anything, but I think it's important enough not to take them out just because.
  • Options

LOL- last year I pulled DD out a couple times a month to have a mom-daughter date.  The two of us.  Without the twins (while they were in preschool).  Once she starts elementary school in the fall, I'll not be able to get it.  It was so incredibly selfish.  And I'll do it again with the twins- one at a time for a "date," since they start K next year.  I can't imagine regretting a minute I spend with them 1-1.  But I have a litter and that time is hard to come by. 

Once they're in "real" school, it will be different. 

• Options
    DD will be doing the 4K program at our local public school. The newsletter we got advised that for all grades (including 4K) if she'd reach 10 missed days (excused or not) we have to talk to a school admin about attendance and create a plan to avoid future missed days, etc. I know that for most areas, 4K isn't regulated, but depending on what it's for, I'm not sure that it's necessary to pull your child out either. I totally get if the child is sick and I'm totally for pulling them out a few days for a BIG family vacation. But if it's just for a random fun day or something, I guess I"m not on board for that. Id just be afraid it would create issues in the future bc I know my 4 yr olds memory shocks me sometimes. I'd be afraid we'd allow it once and then BAM - she's asking for it again (especially if she's having a few rough school days).
  • Options
    I don't think it is a big deal academically but I would be worried about upsetting the transition phase a little. One or two days, no big deal but if he missed the entire second week, I think DS may have struggled with that.
  • Options
    fredalina said:

It's fine. Jesus. The idea that she'll decide school is optional because of a few days off of preschool is laughable. At this age she may not even realize school exists when she's not in it.

So true. Though I would personally be concerned about missing in the first month if your child has problems with transitioning and this is a new class but would have no reservations doing it later on. And honestly if you are keeping your kid home because you don't feel like driving then they will get the message school is not important but if they miss it for something you find important then they will learn that it is ok to take a vacation day for something big and when they are older they will work to make up for it just like you do at work. And my son is going into first grade and missed two 4 day weeks of school for two separate vacations and I promise he thinks school is super important and when I forced him to go to the United Nations when his art was displayed there he begged not to go to NYC because he did not want to miss one hour of school even after the vacations.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    When the boys started school last year it was a 5 day a week school but I couldn't bring myself to take them that many days in a row right off the bat so for the first several weeks I kept them out a day or two. They did fine transitioning. Some preschools only go 2 or 3 days a week anyway. And as far as academics go...it is preschool. I'm with your DH. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm clearly mom of the year b/c not only does it not bother me to take my kids out of pre-k if needed (we are planning a week in FL this winter intentionally off of the typical school year calendar vacations so it isn't packed), but I am excited about the fact that we'll be doing private K at our daycare center next year and will get an extra year of not having to adhere so strictly to a public school year schedule which will give us more flexibility in terms of things like travel or days off if needed/desired....not that I plan to take them out of K constantly (frankly we don't really take them out much as it is other than sickness and vacation a couple times a year that is usually around holidays & summer anyway) but I"m not looking forward to the school year schedule structure & rigidity.

However, my kids have been in a daycare center since 5 months old which became a true full time preschool at age 3 and therefore the transition and new-ness are totally different plus they go full time 5 days a week so it would be a little different than a preschool that is only 2-3 days or half days so maybe that is why I'm so loose about it. 
  • Options
    I pull LO for the entire summer, so yeah, I don't see an issue

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited August 2013
    Just as a follow up of avoiding lines- to my knowledge my pre-k  (and the following kindergarten) has no spring break b/c it is part of a daycare facility so I would think other kids in the class will be pulled out during their various siblings' spring break in march/april. Is that different or 'ok', does that make it a 'family event' vs. my vacation which is apparently not a family event? Also avoiding lines is actually very important to us as we have a child who struggles with waiting and lines and to minimize that will make it much better for everyone, in particular him as he would end up even more frustrated if it was during a super crowded time.

The timing of this particular vacation also means they get to see both sets of grandparents who live 12-14 hrs from us and they only ever see one set otherwise a handful of days a year and the other slightly more frequently. Does that make it 'more ok' since there is extended family involved?  I was being flip about the lines but yes, I do think that once in awhile, esp in young years like K, it is not the end of the world for kids to miss school if it is not a regular thing multiple times a year and the parent is having the kids do the homework, etc for that time period and not missing something that is critical. And I think pre-k is a totally different story & would think there is very little to 'make up'.

So OP, clearly there are a lot of factors that go into making a decision about missing & why you'd miss & what you'd consider priorities.
  • Options
    My kid will start private pre K 4 days a week next year and 5 days a week K the year after. I am planning on still taking her out for 2 weeks in the fall to go to Europe to visit my family. It is much more convenient and likely cheaper than doing this in the summer. Once she hits first grade we will have to go in the summer but I'm avoiding it as long as possible. She regularly misses "school" now (goes 3 mornings a week to preschool/daycare) and never has any problems going back (no crying and settles right back in like she never left) so I don't foresee any problems with her readjusting to school after being gone a couple of weeks. I know kids that miss more school than that because of "illness" (every time they have a runny nose they get kept home). Visiting family in Europe will be at least somewhat educational.
  • Options

I might keep her in at the beginning because you mentioned she has some transition issues. However, in general, I have no issues with missing some school for a kid who is thriving and isn't having learning/classroom challenges. We will definitely be missing some time this year for pre-school (DS's pre-school is year round with a few 2 week breaks). It might even (gasp!) be during the regular school year when he receives some special education services. I *might* even let him take some time off in K or even early elementary! Oh no. He has stuff scheduled all the time. Literally basically all of the time and several therapies follow different breaks so there is *no* easy, natural break. He is 3 - he still needs downtime and special family time.

Yes, he will miss some stuff, but he will also gain from his experiences. We cannot always take vacation time during their breaks and I believe everyone needs a break sometimes. Not a big deal. Manage transitions, make sure they are settled and keeping up before you plan to go, help them keep up while they are gone, etc.

• Options
    As long as you're not doing it frequently I don't see it as a problem. It's better than missing Kindergarten, like PPs have said.
    m/c 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"