March 2012 Moms

pre-school?

Dumb FTM question... are you all thinking about preschool already? What age do kids usually start preschool? I am clueless. Something one of my coworkers said got me wondering if I should be checking out places already and getting DS on some waiting lists. He's at an in-home day care right now that a lady runs out of her house. He loves it, and pretty much spends the day playing with the other toddlers. At some point though I think I would like to put him into something more formal where they have more of an educational component. Should I be looking already? TIA!

Re: pre-school?

• I have been thinking about this too and did some research around my neighbourhood. I found one I like but they don't take children until they are 2 and a half years old, so we would have to wait, probably until Sept 2014. I think it depends on the school requirements.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Most preschools around here are for 3 and 4yr olds.

I haven't investigated yet. We are planning on homeschooling for K-8 but I might do a two day half day preschool just so I get a break. lol. But more than likely we won't be doing that at all.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Loading the player...
  • DD was in an in-home all of last school year, but since we recently moved we've enrolled her in a daycare/preschool.  At her age now (and in Feb. when the new baby comes) it will be just daycare, but once they're out of the infant/toddler classes (2.5 or 3, I think), they will add in more preschool activities.  It was easier for me to make the decision because we moved, but I thought it was time that she had more interaction and opportunities for learning than she was getting in her in-home environment.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They don't start preschool here until 3 and they don't accept waitlist requests until like 6 mos before school starts.  DD's daycare is certified by the state for the preschool program, so we will leave her at her daycare for preschool.  She already has some "formal" education at daycare.  They have lesson plans and specific objectives, but they focus on learning through play.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• We've been on a wait list just to tour our preferred preschool.  After three months, we've finally got a tour date for November.  After we take the tour we'll be allowed to put our names on the wait list for enrollment. We plan to put DD into preschool at 3yrs old.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the replies! I don't feel like such a slacker now. :P
  • Our daycare center is part of the school district. Alexander will keep moving up and stay in the same building until he graduates kindergarten. It's nice because all the teachers in the other rooms already see him all the time and there's a lot of class mixing with similar age groups for outside and gym times so it'll be a smooth transition as he moves up.

• My oldest is 3 now and turning 4 in December.  I wasn't thinking we were going to do preschool at all; I never went to preschool and did very well in school.  My mom taught me my ABCs and numbers, counting, etc. at home, read to me a lot, and took me to story time at the library.  I work from home so I figured that I could do the same and he would be just fine.  But when he was in Bible School this summer and the teacher would ask them to say, hold up ten fingers or spin around in a circle, he would not participate.  That made me think that he would benefit from being in a classroom and it also might help him to not turn out as shy as I did.  Most of the preschools in my area held signups in the spring of this year for the fall, but still have 1-2 openings.  One of the churches in town is just starting a new one and we are going to the open house next week to check it out and register.  It is only two days a week for 2 1/2 hours for 3 year olds.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"