Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

HELP am I creating a new bad habit? Not sure which is worse.... binkie related

DS just turned 19 months and we started limiting his binkie use during the day, but realized soon after he is replacing it with his fingers (with drool). I don't see him 'sucking' on his fingers very much, they just hang out there... ALL the time, it is so gross. I DO NOT want to have to deal with breaking that habit as you can't take away his fingers like you can a binkie. On that same note, I don't want to have that toddler who has a binkie in his mouth.... I was bad and gave in while we are at home today... , out and about I got rid of it. I am at a loss of what to do... take a break and give in only to try again later??? I am also expecting again Oct 2nd and there is big change coming.

Re: HELP am I creating a new bad habit? Not sure which is worse.... binkie related

• Here's my take on it. If you don't want him having one, then take it away entirely. Don't be wishy washy about it. 

30 - Waiting to TTC#2

PCOS -Fibroids -Type 1 Diabetes

• I would rather the fingers all day, binkie's aren't good for teeth or speech.  People say neither are teeth but I sucked my thumb forever and had a slight over bite and braces for 9 months.  My brother never sucked his fingers and has awful teeth because his mouth is small.  He also maybe teething again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • maybe try a "chewy" like either the kind you freeze or the Nuby brand ones that are silicone.  That way something is IN his mouth(which it sounds like is a comfort thing) but he can have it in his mouth OR set it down...idk it's likely he will set it down and forget about it more and more often and eventually quit using it.
  • side note: the chewy things im talking about are like ring-shaped, so the whole thing doesnt go in his mouth and he wont suck on it, so it shouldnt effect his teeth
  • If I had to choose, I would stick with the binkie. My reason is this. You've got a new LO coming soon. It sounds like you will have a hard time getting rid of it (since the fingers are replacing it), and he is going to want that comfort even more once the new LO gets here, even more if LO get a binkie and he doesn't.

You have more options to successfully make it go away once LO arrives. He could pass his binkie down to the little, or worst case scenario, they get rid of the binkie at the same time. You will have the "binkies are for babies" conversation at some point, and that may be your easiest out.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mommy2Boys09Mommy2Boys09 member
    edited August 2013
    My children s pediatrician suggested not doing anything like that (taking binkies, potty training etc) within 2 months of a big event. They are more likely to not handle it as well. This is especially true if you plan to give Baby #2 a binkie. I would suggest waiting at least 2 months after your 2nd child is born. My DS 1 was 3 (well 1 month before he turned 3) before I took his. No one really said anything but as he got older he used it less and less so we didn't normally take it out with us. Good luck!

I'll also add that when I took his binkies, it was because we had lost them all and I was more or less fed up with looking for them and spending money on them all the time. So when he couldn't find one that was it! He didn't get one at bedtime or anything like that. The first 2 days or so were the hardest and of course bed time was the worst but then he thought he was such a big boy for getting rid of it. My cousin watches the Simpsons and she told her son that the baby (not sure of the name right off) took his binkie, he hated that baby but he never fussed or cried about it! LOL so if that's something you guys watch or if you watch something where a baby has a binkie then you could do that. 
    Daisypath - (fpox)Lilypie - (cr8G)  Lilypie - (jTpT)Lilypie - (LZoT)
    Started Dating DH 09/03/2009 Married 07/01/2011 
    Surprise BFP 10/18/2008 EDD 06/19/2009 DS #1 Born 06/16/2009
    TTC #2 12/2010 BFP 05/15/2011 EDD 01/09/2012 DS #2 Born 01/11/2012
    DH adopted DS #1 06/25/2012
    TTC #3 06/2013 BFP 02/19/2014 EDD 10/30/2014 DS #3 Born 10/10/2014

• Thanks all! DH and I decided to keep the binky (limit it some during the day but when the fingers get bad or whining starts, it will come out) and once the newness of the new baby is over and we are in a good routine again we will try again :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"