Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Rough daycare drop-off

l_kolar2005l_kolar2005 member
edited August 2013 in Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
My son is 14 months old, and switched rooms at daycare about a month ago.  Since the switch the morning drop off has become nightmare-ish.  Every morning he cries when I leave; it doesn't matter if I stay and play with him for a few minutes or do a quick drop he still cries.  Some days I go into the observation room next to his room and watch him for a few minutes and within 30 seconds of me walking out the door he quits crying.  His daycare is at my work so I see other parents around the office and they say when they drop their children off my son is happily playing...some days they will mention he gets a little pouty when they go to leave as well.  Does anyone have any tips on how to make drop off a little easier?

Re: Rough daycare drop-off

• Options
    My son switches daycare rooms at the end of this month and I'm kinda worried about it because he is in LOVE with one of his teachers. I don't know what he's going to do without her! Fortunately, they start transitioning them in a week or two, so hopefully that will help.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My son does the same thing. He goes to an in home day care and cries when I drop him off and when I pick him up. He stops crying also like 30 seconds after I leave.

My DH figured it out about 2 weeks ago. DS has so much fun there he wants us to stay. DH stopped during lunch one day and DS grabbed his hand and started taking him to all the cool stuff like toys and even patting one other little boy on the head. The provider is DH's cousin. He still gets upset when I drop him off but knowing the reason now it makes it a bit easier.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We went through this at 12 months, and then again at 18 months.  It is HARD!  But it is a phase and they pass through it.  All the talking up daycare, positive associations, etc. don't do anything to stop the hysteria at drop off.  But time does. 

Dealing with it at 18 months was easier, because at that age I could say "doesn't mommy always pick you up?" or "I'll see you at the end of the day" and he would understand.  But at 12 (or 14 months) it's more difficult to have them realize separation isn't forever.

My DCPs really helped out during this stage.  At drop off they would take him to go do something special.  He had a special toy bin he could pick a toy out of, or a special ball just for him, or they'd take him to the wall of photos to look at pictures of us or his friends.  The distraction and instant activity made dropoffs less traumatic.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DD did this also for about 2 weeks. It killed me, and I kept wondering "why is she doing this?" Because shes's been at the same center since she was 3m old..The Director explained it is a huge change from the infant room...After about 2 weeks she just stopped and now waves "bye bye" before I even leave lol. GL it will get better:)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"