Military Families
Options

Ft Campbell

We are being pcsed there in a few months and I just found out I'm KU. Does anyone have any opinions on whether I should go to the military hospital or the one in Clarksville? Any horror stories or rumors I should hear about before I decide?
photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg

Re: Ft Campbell

• Options
    I'm not sure what KU means, but from what I've heard from other ladies, I've decided to deliver at a hospital in Clarksville off post. It's called Gateway, and so far with Tricare, I haven't had to pay a dime and it will cover delivery 100%. I would just do what you're comfortable with.
    Welcome Lily Anna!
    photo 1456712_10152106342897743_1211250038_nTB_zps917a6c9a.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you're on Prime, be aware that BACH (on post) are referring VERY FEW people off post unless they are extremely high risk.  I switched to Standard but still only paid $70 total (the standard rate for each day you're in the hospital, I think it's like $16.55 or something) the entire pregnancy and delivered Gateway (off post hospital).  

I had a great experience at Gateway but I was a repeat C-section so I'm sure my experience would vary from a vaginal delivery.  I loved my doctor (Lisa McIntosh at Women's Health Center of Clarksville) and the care at the hospital was great.  My oldest was assigned an off post pediatrician when we moved here so that pediatrician was able to see our youngest in the hospital (note: I had to submit a special appeal to have DS2 seen off post because they are referring very few people off post due to budget cuts).  

I have no personal experience with maternity care/delivery on post but have had friends who have delivered vaginally and had C-sections on post.  Their opinions are mixed with more being displeased with the level of care they received however one had a great experience.  

If I had to do it over again, I would switch to Standard and go off post in a heart beat because my experience was so good.  Gateway has a great lactation consultant, an awesome big brother/big sister class you can take before your baby is born, and their facilities are very nice.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    keg79380keg79380 member
    edited August 2013
    My husband and I have been here for a little over a month and I have been going off post. I didn't like the care I received at Ft. Benning and I wanted to have a consistent doctor throughout my pregnancy. I switched to Standard and Dr. Jeff Anderson at Primier Medical Group/Gateway is my doctor. So far he has been great and the practice seems wonderful! So so happy I switched to Standard!
  • Options
    I delivered both of my children at BACH (the military hospital) and loved it.  I was on rotation for my nursing program at Jennie Stuart in Hopkinsville and honestly would not recommend it at all.  I've also had friends who delivered at Gateway, and again, they wouldn't recommend it.  BACH was the only hospital in the area that I could find a midwife who would support my desires for a natural birth.  If I could repeat both pregnancies and deliveries, I would still choose BACH.  You can PM me if you have any questions or anything.
    I: November 2011 
    M: November 2012
  • Options
    I just started receiving care at BACH - as in just went in for my pregnancy confirmation blood test.  I loved my PCM's nurse, HATED the lab employees at the desk and loved the lady who drew my blood.  I want to have my baby at BACH because it's VBAC friendly and Gateway isn't, and I don't want to drive to Nashville.  However, the more I learn about policies at BACH the more I hesitate - no children allowed in the lab with you (though at Fort Huachuca they never had a problem with this), no children at ultrasounds, you can't schedule your anatomy ultrasound via phone - you have to go to the radiology department, and cell reception SUCKS in the hospital.  I've also heard they make you do an OB orientation - I'm not sure if it's in a group setting yet or not but if it is I'm going to refuse.  That is not for me at all.  

I can keep you posted on how it goes for me.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @LDM877  I did have my last one Nov 2012, so I can't speak as to what has happened since then.  But as far as I know, you don't have to do an OB orientation. They offer a class to go to, but it's not a requirement.  I've seen plenty of women bring their children into the lab with them to do the GTT and no one had said anything to them.  Yes, no children at the ultrasound, but you wouldn't want to if you saw the rooms.  The rooms are really small and not much space, so it's understandable to not have little ones around with the equipment.  I have to agree though, cell reception is horrible!  I walked around for ages having to stay in the lab for 3 hours doing my 2nd GTT and kept having to go to the lobby area to get service.  I know that almost no one has service down on the main floors, but I did get service on L&D.
    I: November 2011 
    M: November 2012
  • Options
    I had my son at Bach (on post) in 2010 and all I will say is I will never ever have a child at that hospital again. We had a terrible child birth experience there.
    Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
    It's a Girl! Due 2/5/2017
  • Options
    I went to BACH when I had my BFP in July this year (we just PCS to Hawaii so I only had two appointments before I left.)

From my short experience, I really loved it there. I did have to go through a group orientation, which honestly wasn't that bad. It was quick, they sent everyone to get their bloodwork done individually while we watched a short powerpoint and video. They gave us an information booklet and answered any questions we had, which was beneficial in a group setting because I heard a lot of questions I wouldn't have thought to ask. My second appointment was great, the staff was very friendly and I didn't feel as though I was rushed out the door. They answered all of my questions. They just renovated the women's center also, and it's nice to have everything all in one spot.

Honestly, I've heard both good and bad things about BACH, but I've heard more negative things about Gateway. I lived in Clarksville for 5 years before we moved and spoke with a lot of civilian moms who preferred driving all the way to Nashville instead of going to Gateway. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    LDM877 said:
    I just started receiving care at BACH - as in just went in for my pregnancy confirmation blood test.  I loved my PCM's nurse, HATED the lab employees at the desk and loved the lady who drew my blood.  I want to have my baby at BACH because it's VBAC friendly and Gateway isn't, and I don't want to drive to Nashville.  However, the more I learn about policies at BACH the more I hesitate - no children allowed in the lab with you (though at Fort Huachuca they never had a problem with this), no children at ultrasounds, you can't schedule your anatomy ultrasound via phone - you have to go to the radiology department, and cell reception SUCKS in the hospital.  I've also heard they make you do an OB orientation - I'm not sure if it's in a group setting yet or not but if it is I'm going to refuse.  That is not for me at all.  

What the heck am I supposed to do with DD when I need blood taken? I can't just leave her outside. 
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • Options
    J&NL said:
    LDM877 said:

What the heck am I supposed to do with DD when I need blood taken? I can't just leave her outside. 
    I will say that there are MANY civilian OBGYN offices that don't allow children.  The one I went to in Clarksville did not allow children so I had to find a sitter or friend to watch DS1 when I had appointments.  I would have been able to bring him for ultrasounds had I wanted to but there is no way I could have kept him occupied while I had the 1 & 3 hour glucose tests done in their in-house lab.  If that is a deal breaker for you, just be aware when searching out off-post OBGYNs that they may have the same policy as BACH.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"